Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I am very ambitious but why should I apply to a job that REQUIRES this or that if I don't have it?
It depends on the type of career YOU want. SMCC has an excellent photography program--better than what you'd receive at Brooks in SB for example. You could actually receive financial aid...

If you'd prefer to land an unskilled job, and to continue pursuing your unpaid hobbies in your spare time, that's another way to live your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 AM

548 posts, read 891,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
It depends on the type of career YOU want. SMCC has an excellent photography program--better than what you'd receive at Brooks in SB for example. You could actually receive financial aid...

If you'd prefer to land an unskilled job, and to continue pursuing your unpaid hobbies in your spare time, that's another way to live your life.
I see. I would love to charge for my services as a writer and a photographer but AS SOON AS YOU DISCUSS MONEY people walk away.

But yet this guy, https://www.facebook.com/jeremysafferphotography, http://twitter.com/jeremysaffer
ModelMayhem.com - Jeremy Saffer - Photographer - Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Is making good money charging $300+ in classes or his photography offers. But if I wanted to charge $20 bucks people look away.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,775 times
Again, what kind of kit are you even shooting with? Without the right equipment, or access to equipment, your photos will be too low of quality to sell. Can an amazing talent develop on their own? Sure. It is much more likely that a person learns the craft from a combination of instruction and learning from critiques. If you want to post your website, or pm it to me, I can give you my opinion about your portfolio--I've followed the work of not only my son, but many of the top college photogs for the past five years or so.

The bio of the guy you linked to explained that he won't work for free like a hobbyist. (Which is what most people are--and it's what you are.) Just because he can command $300 per hour, doesn't mean you're a bargain at $20 per hour.

You can certainly find internships direct from photogs. Some will teach you something, some will just be looking for free or cheap manual labor. These jobs can again be competitive. They'll expect a high quality portfolio and experience/training. After gaining some experience, you can actually make money assisting. A few hundred a day for a high quality assistant, wouldn't be uncommon.

If you're willing to stalk celebrities, you can always get paid as a paparazzi in LA as well.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:20 AM

8,068 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I would look into freelance work or look for some sort of customer service/support job that uses remote service agents.

If you had some I.T. skills I know a guy that works for a company in Colorado from his home in Tennessee doing so sort of I.T. work.

I agree that 90% of the advertised "work from home" jobs are scams. They are pretty easy to identify as scams though.

I have been developing a "work from home" business that is slowly gaining its footing. I work with accounting systems troubleshooting and report development.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 AM

8,068 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
You could do what millions are now doing all over the world. They sit in front of their computer about 20 hours a day trying to figure out how they can use the internet to steal from others.I hear our friends in NIGERIA do quite well at it lol
The Nigerians aren't very good at scamming. Poor English skills and grammar are the warning signs. A silly story about needing "help" to move money ensures only the most naive fall victim.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I see. I would love to charge for my services as a writer and a photographer but AS SOON AS YOU DISCUSS MONEY people walk away.

But yet this guy, https://www.facebook.com/jeremysafferphotography, http://twitter.com/jeremysaffer
ModelMayhem.com - Jeremy Saffer - Photographer - Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Is making good money charging $300+ in classes or his photography offers. But if I wanted to charge $20 bucks people look away.

And it's because so many writers out there are willing to give up their stuff for free. They don't need you because the next schmoe who is willing to cover what you cover is waiting in the wings to get his or her stuff out there thinking that will make them so desirable that editors will leap to pay them. Since the advent of the Internet, everybody's a writer. People self-publish books, and some of them are really bad.

If you want to be paid for writing, then go after paying markets only. Use the Writer's Market or one of the other services that lists paying markets and what they want.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The Nigerians aren't very good at scamming. Poor English skills and grammar are the warning signs. A silly story about needing "help" to move money ensures only the most naive fall victim.
I got one a few weeks ago. I just have to contact this woman who is related to Nigerian royalty and find out where to send the shipping fee, and I will get an ATM card for $10.5 million. It was signed "Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State", so I know it's real!

I printed that one and taped it up on my cubicle wall.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeite View Post
I know of three offhand that are totally legit:

Lionbridge
Leapforce
Appen Butler Hill

However, they usually look for people with college degrees or some college experience.

Maybe you could look into medical transcription? It's a legit job, and often people can do it from home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I didn't read all the responses so my apologies if this has been mentioned.

There ARE legit at-home customer service jobs. Like a call center job but from home. I don't think they are that common.

One company I am semi-familiar with is Alpine Access:

https://www.alpineaccess.com/

The pay is so-so. I have not worked for them but interviewed. I was NOT able to work for them because I didn't have a quiet work environment at home and that is a necessity. Basically I couldn't count on my dogs to shut up for an entire shift and they actually started barking madly during the phone interview. It was awful!

I am sure they are not the only company offering this sort of work opportunity though, you just have to dig to find those kind of jobs.

I worked for a company called Affiliated Computer Services, Inc. I'm not sure what changes have taken place but now, when I try to go to their website it is Xerox.com . At any rate, I worked from home for that company for four years, full time. I did data entry, processing health insurance billing paperwork. I will not lie, it was awful, but it was legit. I have tried to find similar at home work (data entry and the like, no phones) with no luck. In the end I decided that the crap pay and stress was not worth being at home. Sometimes no breaks, sometimes mandatory overtime for MONTHS on end at 60-plus hours a week (money is good but one needs a life!), and other times not enough work available to support even a guarantee of 10 to 15 hours a week.. usually at the worst times, like right before Christmas. Work would trickle in sporadically during the day so you had to be at the computer ALL day long to hope to make any money and when it did come in, it was like throwing a few bones into a circle of 100 starving dogs. And all of it was piece-rate pay, with no consideration for the company's server problems causing you delays, causing your piece rate to drop. When everything was going great you could make $12 an hour, but so much of the time it was more like $8 due to circumstances totally out of your control.
There you go, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance