Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times

Advertisements

Anyone else read it? Although actually living a 4 hour work week seems like a pipe dream even when following the advice in the book to the letter, it does offer some valuable and straight-forward philosophies towards time management. I'm wondering if anyone here has "made it" with a 4 (or 10, or 2, or 8, etc.) hour work week here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Read the Amazon customer reviews. Sometimes the customer reviews there are decent doses of reality (unlike CNN comments, which are doses of fruit-loops).

I need to write a book...

Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here has "made it" with a 4 (or 10, or 2, or 8, etc.) hour work week here..
Four hours a week isn't enough time to get the coffee right... let alone a business.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,785,595 times
Unless you managing a sizable stock portfolio, four hours isn't going to go very far. I guess if you lived in your own trailer and had enough room to grow your own food you could scrap by on 4 hours a day, but you'll be very very poor. Is that the type of life you want?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Read it.

It might work in the narrow confines of the internet boom etc.

Lota BS... Some good gems hidden in the mud...

Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
I never read it and wouldn't waste my time on such nonsense type books. I'm a successful entrepreneur and I've worked in both the corporate environment for many years as well as owning a few of my own companies.

Before starting my own company, I NEVER read any self-help type books or other books on being successful in business. I certainly wouldn't read any nonsense about working 4 hours a week and being truly successful or wealthy.

The most successful people that I know all have one thing in common and that is they are EXTREMELY hard workers. Not just intelligent people but hard workers. In fact, the education part isn't the most important part to me. I know a few people that only finished high school and are multimillionaires. But they worked VERY hard for their money.

When I first started my businesses I was working up to 17 hours a day. Each and every day. 7 days a week for years on end. People thought I was crazy. Friends told me I was going to get a heart attack. My (now wife who was then my girlfriend for many years) also didn't understand it at the time. I joke now that I worked about 15 years of a traditional 40 hour week in 5 years which was essentially true. I worked many 120 hour weeks back then.

Probably one of the most satisfying moments for me (besides the birth of my kids) was when my wife turned to me and said, "Earl Lee, now I realize all that hard work and dedication was worth it".

People see success stories and think it was "overnight success" but what they don't realize is "overnight success" usually takes about 10-20 years of hard work.

For me there aren't many short-cuts in life of becoming wealthy short of winning the lottery or having a trust fund or happening to sell a start up to Google or Facebook. Books like "4 hour work week" will always be nonsense to me.

I think that's the biggest problem of the General X and Y group. They all want to become millionaires overnight without putting in many years/decades of hard work. They all want it NOW without putting in the blood, sweat and tears of an actual career. Pathetic to me.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 PM

357 posts, read 712,139 times
I've read it, obviously 4 hours isn't realistic but it does have some good ideas in there. And it's not focused on making yourself wealthy, it's more about how to gain more time for yourself, stop working for the man, etc. As a gen Y member I work full time but honestly am not willing to work 80 hour weeks for some company who doesn't give a rat's a** about me and would lay me off if they felt my salary got too large, needed to cut costs, etc. So earlyretirement and I have different goals - or rather different dreams.

This book I don't treat like the Bible like some, read it once and it was fine but it's more about the lifestyle we want. Once I start my own business I'll be happy to work like crazy but it'll be on my terms and I'd prefer a work/life balance while being frugal to get my way to early retirement. If that means I can never buy a ferrari so be it - I'm more than happy to spend my retirement in a foreign country with a low cost of living.

The best thing I gleaned from it was the power of using cheap overseas labor to do some work. People don't realize the types of tasks that outsourced labor can do electronically.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I never read it and wouldn't waste my time on such nonsense type books. I'm a successful entrepreneur and I've worked in both the corporate environment for many years as well as owning a few of my own companies.

Before starting my own company, I NEVER read any self-help type books or other books on being successful in business. I certainly wouldn't read any nonsense about working 4 hours a week and being truly successful or wealthy.

The most successful people that I know all have one thing in common and that is they are EXTREMELY hard workers. Not just intelligent people but hard workers. In fact, the education part isn't the most important part to me. I know a few people that only finished high school and are multimillionaires. But they worked VERY hard for their money.

When I first started my businesses I was working up to 17 hours a day. Each and every day. 7 days a week for years on end. People thought I was crazy. Friends told me I was going to get a heart attack. My (now wife who was then my girlfriend for many years) also didn't understand it at the time. I joke now that I worked about 15 years of a traditional 40 hour week in 5 years which was essentially true. I worked many 120 hour weeks back then.

Probably one of the most satisfying moments for me (besides the birth of my kids) was when my wife turned to me and said, "Earl Lee, now I realize all that hard work and dedication was worth it".

People see success stories and think it was "overnight success" but what they don't realize is "overnight success" usually takes about 10-20 years of hard work.

For me there aren't many short-cuts in life of becoming wealthy short of winning the lottery or having a trust fund or happening to sell a start up to Google or Facebook. Books like "4 hour work week" will always be nonsense to me.

I think that's the biggest problem of the General X and Y group. They all want to become millionaires overnight without putting in many years/decades of hard work. They all want it NOW without putting in the blood, sweat and tears of an actual career. Pathetic to me.

When I was recently working Hurricane sandy I worked 16-18 hours/day 7 days a week for 3 months...

I agree with that part... But the book had some gems in it...

Like I paid less than $100 to farm out HOURS of transcribing documents...
Freeing me up for the work that had to be done by me.

Believe it or not that wouldn't of been done without the book.
It helped me look at constructive use of time, and how it IS worth it to pay for some things rather than doing it all yourself.

There's other little gems in it... I just disagree with the 'hook'

Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Anyone else read it? Although actually living a 4 hour work week seems like a pipe dream even when following the advice in the book to the letter, it does offer some valuable and straight-forward philosophies towards time management. I'm wondering if anyone here has "made it" with a 4 (or 10, or 2, or 8, etc.) hour work week here..
I read the book. It's mostly a scam. Blogger Penelope Trunk has written several posts about how his book is a scam. The main thing he does is play fast and loose with the definition of "work". What almost everyone else would consider work, Tim Ferriss does not.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,085 times
It promises something for nothing. Which doesn't exist. I'm a truck driver, all those ideas about outsourcing and missing meetings and working from a remote location I could never imply anyway. Only I can drive my truck, maybe white collar people can apply some of these principles but I can't.
I know several people that are self made and well off financially, some millionaires. They all worked hard to get where they're at and it didn't happen over night either.
Just like not every boy that picks up a football is meant to play in the NFL not everyone who dreams if being wealthy is meant to be wealthy and nor will they be. The US has this obsession with money, wealth and material possessions, and many believed they are entitled to it and want it now. Which is why people like Tim Ferris can write a book like this and be successful. See, people that write books like these or came up with the MLM in the 90's they're the ones who make/made the money, the people that bought into it didn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance