Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,797,730 times

Advertisements

The other day I saw a television interview where a lady was trying to get a hospital to drop her bill to the same rate that they give insured people after they had charged her 5 times as much as somebody who had walked in the door with an insurance card. The interview got me to thinking about my own doctors bills, and I found out that my doctor charges uninsured people 3 times more than I pay, and a procedure I had last year would have been 20 times more expensive if I had paid with cash.

If gas stations or utility companies did something like this people would throw a fit and the government would file criminal charges against the offending companies.

Why aren't we all outraged about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 03:01 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,040,383 times
My experience was just the opposite! A surgeon, anesthesiologist, and surgery center all gave discounts (from insured rates) for cash payment.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:07 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Nothing to get outraged about...
People can negotiate a discount, just like the insurance company did.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,687,289 times
Huh? Doctors and dentists almost always will knock 20-30% off the price for paying with cash since they don't have to waste time on the bureaucracy and get paid immediately.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:35 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,777,277 times
My dentist is still trying to get paid from ins co. for a procedure done 376 days ago. Yes, that's over a year!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,797,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Huh? Doctors and dentists almost always will knock 20-30% off the price for paying with cash since they don't have to waste time on the bureaucracy and get paid immediately.
20-30% is a lot less than the 66% to 95% (see my examples above) they'd knock off for insurance. In the case of the lady haggling with the ER, the hospital tried to offer her a 50% discount to settle, but she refused because she'd still be paying 2 1/2 times more than an insured person.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:42 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,985 times
Hospitals won't give you a discount. I know cause I've asked.

And I had insurance. They refused to pay. The old tired legalese of "you have a crazy fever but didn't go to the primary care manager....at 3am when the place was closed...yes, you made an unauthorized visit to the ER....rejected, oh premium for next month is due next wee by the way". Yeah they didn't see a check from me ever.

Healthcare in this country is a racket. We need to pry its rotting core open, kicking-and-screaming nurses and medical administrators/insurance entitities be damned....

Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,061,882 times
I think this is a gross exaggeration, no charge master is so grossly inflated that the charges are 5x or more the price after contractual adjustment. It's actually criminal to have one that over inflated, and CMS has armed agents.

Take 100 and you take 55% of that (average contractual reimbursement, no one pays 20%) and it's not even 2x...paying 100% instead of 50% is not 2 1/2 times it (2 1/2 times 50% is 125%). The math is incorrect.

Contractual adjustments exist because the insurance companies actually pay and have large volumes. The sad fact is a very large majority of people without insurance never pay for many reasons, and hospitals need money to continue operations. The charge master should average that into considerations to gain enough money for the hospital to keep it's door open, no hospital is running to the bank with wads of money. Some one must pay, no one will work for free.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,467,118 times
Subsound - When my insurance company refused to pay for my gall bladder procedure, I had to go in and negotiate after the fact with providers. Due to unique circumstances (impossible to garnish wages, Florida homestead exemption) I was able to negotiate the hospital bill to 28% of what they wanted to charge me initially. That was in direct keeping with what Medicare would have paid.

It IS a f----ing racket. I'm livid about the way it has been allowed to grow out of control because the "negotiated" fees are often predicated on OUTRAGEOUS fees charged "retail." Bottom line is if a provider won't negotiate in good faith, go bankrupt and let them suck pond water.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
This is pretty typical, when you buy health insurance you are really buying into a sort of discount program.

My wife had a visit, it included the doctor visit itself and several blood tests, the cash price came to $1110. The insurance payout was $110, or 10 cents on the dollar. Our co-pay was $15 so factor that in and you get $125 total for what a cash person would pay $1110 for.

Just think, if no one had insurance, we would all pretty much be paying the insurance rates and we would only need high deductible plans.

If you wreck your car and don't have insurance it doesn't get fixed, I'm not sure why that can't apply medical stuff either. Yet we continue paying for the uninsured. However forcing everyone, or more people, to become insured isn't the solution. It will just add profits to the health "insurance" companies.

My companies health insurance costs as a total (my contribution and theres) runs $16,000 a year for my wife and I. That money would be better spent going into some HSA or similar and paying out of doctors visits from there. For example My doctor charges $50 per visit thru the insurance reimbursement, however walking in off the street is $130. Pretty much anyone can afford doctors visits and labs at the rate the insurance companies pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance