Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

"I turned on the Suze Orman show to see if I could learn anything about better money management and what I learned was that Orman, for some reason has stopped hiding her utter contempt for men and the women who marry them. It used to be that she would try to hide this contempt, had ordinary men callers and gave advice that was at least fair. Now she seems to be playing the role of angry feminist to the unenlightened female masses who are stupid enough to stay married to any man who causes them financial trouble. "

from

PJ Media » Why I will no longer watch Suze Orman

Isn't Lifetime channel sort of the same way? The victims are always women and the villains are always men.

Is the Lifetime channel all about male bashing?????? By Jamie J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Seems like every time she has a lone female married guest on her show, Suze insinuates that the man is responsible for the family's dire financial situation, and even tries steering the guest to start thinking she would be better off without her husband. Tonight was a perfect example. The woman said that other than lack of communication about money with her husband, she was very happy with him and their relationship. Suze wouldn't take that for an answer and kept badgering her if she was really happy in the marriage or whether she regretted it. Suze does this all the time, so I can't help but think that maybe she has it in for men somehow.
I saw this episode -- what Suze was picking up on was that the woman used the word "I" instead of "we" when talking about the couple's finances and goals. This couple was not in dire circumstances -- the woman called asking about her goals, which seemed to be separate from her husband's. Suze ALWAYS stresses open, honest, communication about finances as a way to prevent getting into dire financial situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Suze, while may be technically smart, every time I see her on camera... she has an extremely annoying way about her.... not sure if it is man hate, per say... but something about her is grating on the nerves....
I have to agree with you there! I'm a longtime fan and agree with a lot (but not all) of her advice, BUT, that voice really is grating on my nerves!!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,610,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I saw this episode -- what Suze was picking up on was that the woman used the word "I" instead of "we" when talking about the couple's finances and goals. This couple was not in dire circumstances -- the woman called asking about her goals, which seemed to be separate from her husband's. Suze ALWAYS stresses open, honest, communication about finances as a way to prevent getting into dire financial situations.

I have to agree with you there! I'm a longtime fan and agree with a lot (but not all) of her advice, BUT, that voice really is grating on my nerves!!

The point I was making is that Suze could not accept the woman's response that she was happily married and had no regrets. She kept trying to convince the guest that she was in a dysfunctional relationship and should think about cutting bait.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
I watch that show occasionally to entertain myself with the stupidity of people who call in.

"I am unemployed...I'm 45m have $5K in savings, $40K in retirement, $75K in debt...can I afford daycare for my dog?"

Old 04-14-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
The point I was making is that Suze could not accept the woman's response that she was happily married and had no regrets. She kept trying to convince the guest that she was in a dysfunctional relationship and should think about cutting bait.
I see. Let's look at it this way -- do you think Suze's advice/questions would have been any different if the guest had been married to another woman?

Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
Quote:
I see. Let's look at it this way -- do you think Suze's advice/questions would have been any different if the guest had been married to another woman?
Completely!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen any gay/lesbian couples on her show, so I can't answer that question. I do wonder if her attitude would be less hostile.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen any gay/lesbian couples on her show, so I can't answer that question. I do wonder if her attitude would be less hostile.
She does have same-sex couples on her show from time to time. Not noticeably different attitude/advice.

Hostile? While she did harp on this issue for a while, I don't think Suze was hostile. Sometimes she does stray into "couples counseling" and I don't think the guests want to "go there". I wouldn't! The guest did seem defensive, and I don't blame her.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:46 PM

732 posts, read 1,046,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize she is a lesbian right?
I wondered why she always calls the female guests "girlfriend." Wishful thinking I guess.

What annoys me about her is her blinding teeth. I can hardly watch the screen from the glare of her pearly whites. She must get those suckers bleached every commercial break.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 PM

Anyone see the show tonight:Best Calls You've Never Heard? Almost non-stop man bashing. She also tried to convince at least two (female) callers to DTMFA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance