Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Did "WE" inherit the money or did your wife???

If it was your wife's inheritance, it should go into a separate account with which she should decide what to do with.
I would also advise not to ever commingle inheritance funds with marital assets, as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:

If it was your wife's inheritance, it should go into a separate account with which she should decide what to do with.
To each their own.

My income is about 3x what hers is, should we keep our income separate as well?

When we married all of our finances became one, why would this be any different?

We decide as a team.

We are on the same financial page. It would be different if I wanted to spend the inheritance. If she decides she wants to take 10k and do something with it she can, after all it is more hers than it is mine, but when it comes to investing it in our future, I can gaurantee you I have a better understanding of money than she does.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
I definitely wouldn't pay down the mortgage.... in the past maybe, but not now.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:

Wow -- OP is too polite, so I will say it for him: mind your own business!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would never "throw" money anywhere -- take the time to understand what is possible upside / downside with ANY "investment account". If you do not care to learn about the possible pitfalls of "investment account" as well as researching potential areas for at least average returns than MAYBE it does make sense to just pay down mortgage but realize EVEN THAT is essentially making an investment decision -- the statement you would be making is that the return on my personal residence is likely greater than any other sound investment . . .

Wouldn't the proper comparison be between the interest rate of the present mortgage vs the expected return on other investment opportunities rather than the expected rate of appreciation of the residence vs other investment opportunities?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:

Disagree. My wife and I pool everything together and don't split up bills or spending etc. We've already discussed inheritance and WE agree that WE inherit anything as a couple just like any other income or windfall profit we receive.

To each their own though.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
My wife and I pool everything together and don't split up bills or spending etc. We've already discussed inheritance and WE agree that WE inherit anything as a couple just like any other income or windfall profit we receive.
Same. When my wife got a small inheritance, it was just put immediately into our joint investment account. We'll do the same thing if/when I receive anything.

It also helps, as mentioned above, that we're on the same page, and neither of us wanted to make any large purchases that we otherwise couldn't afford with the money, but rather just save it all.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Be aware that Missouri is a "dual property" state, in that, in the event of marital dissolution, all assets are considered to be jointly and equally owned. However, assets inherited by one spouse are generally excluded from this dual property division, and remain the exclusive property of the one spouse that inherited it. To protect yourself (that's why we have courts and lawyers), persuade her to put it into a joint account, which will constitute evidence that she intended to share it with you, which will shift it heavily in the direction of dual property.

Unlike the "community property" states, though, Missouri requires that the property be split "equitably", which does not necessarily mean 50-50.

. Divorce and Property Division in Missouri | divorcenet.com

I believe in Florida, it is essentially the same.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-21-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 05:15 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
The fact that the OP makes substantially more money is an even greater reason that the funds shouldn't be mixed.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The absolutely worse thing that I ever did during our marriage was allow my husband to consider the money that I inherited from my parents as "family money". My family and every financial advisor says to keep inherited money separate.

If I had put it in a separate account and saved it for my retirement I wouldn't be forced to continue working with severe rheumatoid arthritis (probably until I'm 70). My husband spent my inherited $100,000 on what he felt were "family essentials" within two years.

I wasn't fooled a second time. On the land that I inherited I made my husband sign a document, with an attorney, stating that it was my inheritance and he had no rights or any say in anything related to the land (my husband kept saying that I should sell the land so "we" could get the money). That document, and my will, leaves the land to our children. BTW My siblings all had their spouses sign similar documents (although their spouses weren't salivating about "getting their hands" on the property like my spouse was).
If it works for your family to co-mingle inheritance money that is fine. But, I hope that it really is the decision of the person who actually is willed the inheritance.

I was just pointing out that in my situation (for many other reasons that I do not want to share) it was the absolutely worst financial decision that I have made in my entire life. I only made that decision (to share the money with him) after intense pressure from my husband.

My husband continues to think that his spending the money that I inherited from my parents was a good decision.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-21-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance