Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 3,136 times

Advertisements

So my brothers girlfriend told me that she files taxes and that she also does her own... mind u she did my taxes and i never signed or received anything about how much i was getting back or anything... she told my brother that our checks were coming as a check in the mail so i have been waiting for over a month no... i decided to call the irs and they told me that my $5,070 refund was deposited into a wellsfargo bank account on the 10th of feb (2 weeks ago) and she gave me the routing number... i don't know what to do now because i NEVER signed ANYTHING and i never got a copy of anything smh i didn't even know how much i was getting back until i called the irs... smh i know it was dumb of me to trust her smh but never again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:56 AM

460 posts, read 779,111 times
If the return was e-filed, the OP wouldn't sign it or possibly even see it, although the person preparing it should have given them a copy of the tax return or forwarded them a .pdf copy.

How to Avoid Income Tax Preparer Fraud

Accounting and tax firms often file returns on behalf of their clients, but any legitimate firm would also send a copy of the entire return to their clients for their records and review, since the taxpayer is ultimately responsible for the return.

There are way too many shady people trying to pass themselves off as professional tax preparers. Go to craigslist and look under financial services and you're bound to find several tax prep service advertisements that most reasonable people would immediately identify as suspect. Many communities also have resources where low income residents can get their taxes done pro bono by professionals.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
1) the thread title had me ruling my eyes
2) I've read two pages and I'm done
3) OP, you got cheated defrauded…HELLO. (or maybe technically YOU were cheated, the IRS was defrauded…whatever…)

Guess who now has to PROVE your sister broke the law? You.
The good news is IF you can prove it, it's a federal crime. So if you threaten her with that she might just give you the money.

But if she was able to do that, she could also steal your identity in other areas. She has all your info.
IF she gives you the money do you jest let it drop?

MY GOD how gullible can people be.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:51 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I see a new career for myself.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,136 times
You guys are really rude smh i asked for advise not judgement but thanks anyway...

Old 03-12-2016, 03:03 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinagraham08 View Post
You guys are really rude smh i asked for advise not judgement but thanks anyway...

So did you get your money back??

Old 03-14-2016, 09:28 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/How-...ud-Activity%3F

Report the crook.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:58 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
So my brothers girlfriend told me that she files taxes and that she also does her own... mind u she did my taxes and i never signed or received anything about how much i was getting back or anything... she told my brother that our checks were coming as a check in the mail so i have been waiting for over a month no... i decided to call the irs and they told me that my $5,070 refund was deposited into a wellsfargo bank account on the 10th of feb (2 weeks ago) and she gave me the routing number... i don't know what to do now because i NEVER signed ANYTHING and i never got a copy of anything smh i didn't even know how much i was getting back until i called the irs... smh i know it was dumb of me to trust her smh but never again...

you don't have to sign anything with e-filing. But she has seen on several screens how much you get back and should have printed it out, taken a picture or sent it to your email. There is NO WAY she doesn't know how much you get back.

Do you have a Wells Fargo account? Did you ask her which account she gave them?

Tell her you called the IRS and they said they will investigate it if you don't receive the money soon because it is a FEDERAL CRIME. That will make her pay you really, really fast.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:06 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
quit shaking your head and read the posts.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you don't have to sign anything with e-filing. But she has seen on several screens how much you get back and should have printed it out, taken a picture or sent it to your email. There is NO WAY she doesn't know how much you get back.

Do you have a Wells Fargo account? Did you ask her which account she gave them?

Tell her you called the IRS and they said they will investigate it if you don't receive the money soon because it is a FEDERAL CRIME. That will make her pay you really, really fast.
File a police report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance