Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,211 times

Advertisements

Long story short. My brother and I are co trustees and both sole beneficiaries of our parents estate. My brother may not be available to sign something one day and said something about giving power of attorney to his wife. I understand that you can give power of atorney to someone for your own personal business. But can you, in effect make someone else your representative as a co trustee for an estate. I don't know the answer, but it seems off to me, as if one trustee is tying to rewrite a deceased persons wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:58 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,316 times
This is a matter of highly variable state law, but the general answer is yes. Once any executor has been formally appointed by the court, he or she can file a notice with the court to create a power-of-attorney. This is typically a pro forma matter, and it often occurs when a named executor lives on the east coast and the court of jurisdiction is on the west coast. But again, your local state laws on the matter will govern.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
the wife is theoretically going to represent your brother's wishes right? so I don't really see why you think he is trying to rewrite a deceased person's wishes. I guess you don't trust him and/or his wife. I wouldn't trust my older brother or his "fiancé" so I sympathize but if the parent gives him the power; you just gotta suck it up.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:10 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Long story short. My brother and I are co trustees and both sole beneficiaries of our parents estate. My brother may not be available to sign something one day and said something about giving power of attorney to his wife. I understand that you can give power of atorney to someone for your own personal business. But can you, in effect make someone else your representative as a co trustee for an estate. I don't know the answer, but it seems off to me, as if one trustee is tying to rewrite a deceased persons wishes.

If he is not personally available, he could sign a document before a Notary Public wherever he is, and FedEx the original to you overnight. Pls check with an attorney on this as it may be state specific.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the wife is theoretically going to represent your brother's wishes right? so I don't really see why you think he is trying to rewrite a deceased person's wishes. I guess you don't trust him and/or his wife. I wouldn't trust my older brother or his "fiancé" so I sympathize but if the parent gives him the power; you just gotta suck it up.
It's probably not going to be an issue. I don't know if it matters, but we are both trustees. We can both sign the documents and we are both in the same area. I would have to check with my lawyer if I want to know for sure. What I meant by "rewrite", is that my father wanted his children to be in charge of the estate and no one else. If he wanted someone else to make decisions, then he would have put that in his trust. It will come down to what the state law is and what the trust says. I don't dislike the wife, but I don't like the idea of someone else being appointed to do the job that my father didn't appoint to do the job. If we could name someone else to do the job of the trustee, then I suppose I can to?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
This is a matter of highly variable state law, but the general answer is yes. Once any executor has been formally appointed by the court, he or she can file a notice with the court to create a power-of-attorney. This is typically a pro forma matter, and it often occurs when a named executor lives on the east coast and the court of jurisdiction is on the west coast. But again, your local state laws on the matter will govern.

an executor wasn't appointed by the court. first, it's a trust, not a will. second, my father appointed 2 trustees, to act together. and third, because of these reasons, we wouldn't be going though courts, but it would (if even possible), be done by giving power of attorney to the wife.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
Yes, if your state laws permit - you too can appoint a power of attorney.

The power of attorney would not become a defacto trustee of the estate, but simply would have the ability (if granted) to execute documents on behalf of you (or your brother) -- which could be estate documents, or personal taxes, or whatever..

If the power of attorney (your's or your brother's) did something in conflict with the estate documents ... you or your brother (as trustees) would be held accountable .. because the POA was acting in your stead.

So, don't appoint someone POA you don't trust.

Its pretty common if someone is frequently traveling (especially out of the country) -- so that the non-travelling spouse can sign things and keep whatever business is at hand on track.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Yes, if your state laws permit - you too can appoint a power of attorney.

The power of attorney would not become a defacto trustee of the estate, but simply would have the ability (if granted) to execute documents on behalf of you (or your brother) -- which could be estate documents, or personal taxes, or whatever..

If the power of attorney (your's or your brother's) did something in conflict with the estate documents ... you or your brother (as trustees) would be held accountable .. because the POA was acting in your stead.

So, don't appoint someone POA you don't trust.

Its pretty common if someone is frequently traveling (especially out of the country) -- so that the non-travelling spouse can sign things and keep whatever business is at hand on track.

i see. now if someone has PoA, then do they also have access to the trust bank account? do they have access to all of the property, such as real estate and cars. I mean physical access to the cars and real estate. can they write checks out of the bank account, just as myself and my brother now can? We are both on the account.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM

I'll explain what is irriating about this situation. My brother and I are co trustees and the only benefitiaries. So that means we are supposed to work together and come to agreement on everything. Many years ago, my parents asked me if I wanted to be the only trustee. They gave me the choice. I said, let my brother do that. A few years ago, my father changed it to both of us as trustees. It was fully my fathers choice. So my brother found out about it, after my fathers death and acted in a way that showed he didn't like that. (i didn't say a word, but lol) He also was PoA for my father for a couple years, but he was the only one living near him at the time. He was also a bit annoyed that the PoA didn't continue past death.

Another thing that I feel is inappropriate, is that my brother has said several times "my wife wants this or that to happen". And the wife pretty much has interjected herself in many decisions. It puzzles me as to why they think that is appropriate. I brought that up a couple times, but they seem to act as it things should revolve around them and don't get it. So that is why I would rather keep the wife out of it legally. They have been a bit disrespectful of the fact that it's supposed to be business between myself and brother, not myself and my sister in law. I don't believe that they will ever "get it", as it's just a part of their personalities.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
like it or not, if your brother has say in the matter, then his wife has say in the matter. thats the exact reason why me and my younger brother want to take away any decision making power that my older brother would have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance