Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
I think OP is just trying to say that crashes are a part and parcel of the market... ...that's a risk that he/she and every investor should be willing to take. The OP had the stomach not to panic and kept investing throughout the bad times, so in essence he/she was buying everything on the cheap. Assuming he/she invested it wisely, he/she must have come out far ahead today than he/she would have if he/she would have stopped investing or pulled out the money. Also, if someone lost all their retirement savings because of the 2008 crash, it could also be blamed on the fact that they did not adjust their allocations (bonds v/s stocks) as they approached retirement age or during their retirement. Bonds also suffered in 2008, but not as much as stocks.
That's right! I had no idea the market crashed in 2008-2009, until 2010 people on here said it crashed.

Here is how I think: I am not smart at stock market timing! I ain't got time to try to be smart at it either. I ain't got time to be watching Cramer and buying stocks. I ain't got time to be moving my 401k around when I think the market is going down. I ain't got time for investing.

What I got time for is choosing an asset allocation, re-balance it once year, and max the hell out of my retirement accounts and keep banks out my pocket. pick low cost index funds, and keep the Target Fund at Vanguard in the Roth IRA and nothing else

Hey man, Ain't nobody got time for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udS-OcNtSWo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM

213 posts, read 728,414 times
show me in black and white it will be there in 30 years. you want to talk about clown talk.

we can only count on 2 things in life, death and taxes.

i hope im wrong and it is there but unlike u im not willing to gamable over 50% of my retirement income on it and I tend to be more agressive but there is a fine line between agressive and foolish.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
show me in black and white it will be there in 30 years. you want to talk about clown talk.

Like I said, show me black and white where SS will be deleted or undervalued in 30 years, and I want put all my trust in it. Otherwise, its clown talk, just speculation. Noone, knows!

I am not trying to be offensive, I am just saying it makes no sense to leave SS out of the equation.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 PM

640 posts, read 957,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Like I said, show me black and white where SS will be deleted or undervalued in 30 years, and I want put all my trust in it. Otherwise, its clown talk, just speculation. Noone, knows!

I am not trying to be offensive, I am just saying it makes no sense to leave SS out of the equation.
Here you go. According to SSA, by 2033 they will only have enough money to pay out 75% of benefits.
Trustees Report Summary

Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM

213 posts, read 728,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Here you go. According to SSA, by 2033 they will only have enough money to pay out 75% of benefits.
Trustees Report Summary
Thank you very much

Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post

i hope im wrong and it is there but unlike u im not willing to gamable over 50% of my retirement income on it and I tend to be more agressive but there is a fine line between agressive and foolish.
I am with starwind on this. I do not factor SS in my retirement savings at all; not 50%, not 5% and not even 0.05%. SS is not something that I can control so it makes no sense to count on it. That's similar to relying on inheritance to fund your retirement... ...it's not in your control and the rich uncle/parent can decide to give it away to someone else!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Alright alright alright,...., I will leave SS out of my calculations.

1. What tax rate do ya'll use for the future income in your calculations.
2. How much inflation do ya'll use? I am thinking 3%.

I think I will need $60k per (in today's money) in my retirement.

I am using 20%, so I will need $72K per year.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
I don't have any reason to think otherwise. last I check, I have SS waiting on me as long as I work everyday until I retire.

If I am wrong or something change, please let me know.

I am keeping SS in my calculation until black and white proof states otherwise. Ain't got time for speculation.
Congress can change the benefit formula of SS any time it wants to.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
That's right! I had no idea the market crashed in 2008-2009, until 2010 people on here said it crashed.

Here is how I think: I am not smart at stock market timing! I ain't got time to try to be smart at it either. I ain't got time to be watching Cramer and buying stocks. I ain't got time to be moving my 401k around when I think the market is going down. I ain't got time for investing.

What I got time for is choosing an asset allocation, re-balance it once year, and max the hell out of my retirement accounts and keep banks out my pocket. pick low cost index funds, and keep the Target Fund at Vanguard in the Roth IRA and nothing else

Hey man, Ain't nobody got time for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udS-OcNtSWo
This is a smart plan. Even if you do have time, it's far from a guarantee that you'll do better than what you're doing right now.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Here you go. According to SSA, by 2033 they will only have enough money to pay out 75% of benefits. Trustees Report Summary
These are the people who in 1997 projected that the trust fund would be exhausted in 2029, then in 2007 projected that it would actually be 2042. Their most recently projected date for the retirement trust fund is actually 2035. A case could be made that you'd do as well with a Ouija board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance