Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,242,285 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in, but everything seems so much more expensive these days than when I was a kid. Please share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 PM

125 posts, read 167,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in, but everything seems so much more expensive these days than when I was a kid. Please share your thoughts.
It also depends on if you actually are out shopping for your own goods, or if you have people take care of that kind of thing for you. I haven't personally shopped in years so I wouldn't know about the expense of things. I pay people to do that kind of thing for me.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
Quote:
Depending on how long ago it was since you were a kid, we've had inflation of some sort or another pretty much every year. I certainly remember things being cheaper, but then, rent on my first apartment was $90, so it's all relative.

I don't think food or clothing is really all that expensive--the basics anyway.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Someone on another forum posted a chart this morning which is very illuminating, showing that real wages (for men, at least) have been trending generally negative since the late 1960s. So which it should be clear that everything increases in price over time, what is also happening is that increase is faster than rising income - much faster than income for the average Joe.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:33 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Yes, it is called inflation.
It happens.

When I was a kid, gas was a quarter a gallon.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, it is called inflation.
It happens.

When I was a kid, gas was a quarter a gallon.
Inflation is inflation. I actually meant that the rise in income has not kept pace with rising costs.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Full details: Overworked America: 12 Charts That Will Make Your Blood Boil | Mother Jones

Dated but still substantially accurate.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Someone on another forum posted a chart this morning which is very illuminating, showing that real wages (for men, at least) have been trending generally negative since the late 1960s. So which it should be clear that everything increases in price over time, what is also happening is that increase is faster than rising income - much faster than income for the average Joe.
This is exactly what I meant. The rise in income has not kept pace with the rising cost of living. A generation ago, practical middle class families could send their kids to college, save for retirement, and ocassionally treat their families to niceties such as vacations or trips to local pro sporting events. Today, most families need two working professionals to do this. Today that seems so hard to do on single income, unless you're an executive, doctor, or successful lawyer or business owner (I know plenty of struggling lawyers and business owners).

Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I meant. The rise in income has not kept pace with the rising cost of living. A generation ago, practical middle class families could send their kids to college, save for retirement, and ocassionally treat their families to niceties such as vacations or trips to local pro sporting events. Today, most families need two working professionals to do this. Today that seems so hard to do on single income, unless you're an executive, doctor, or successful lawyer or business owner (I know plenty of struggling lawyers and business owners).
I will argue that the higher costs are a result of more 2 income families....supply and demand and all that. If more people stayed home and raised their kids, costs would go down because people wouldn't pay as much for them....a generation ago, most houses had one stay at home parent...and a lot fewer issues with kids

Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,178,863 times
Beer seems to be more expensive...esp. the better beer. Why just the other day, I saw a six pack of Great Lakes for $8. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance