Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,035 times

Advertisements

My orthodontist wants me to pay for this retainer, however the retainer was terribly constructed.

Before jumping to a side, please read back story.

Story behind my retainers:
My sister threw away my retainer, so I had my orthodontists make me a new one. Later that day, I found my lost retainer on the kitchen floor and then called my orthodontist to cancel the replacement. My ortho told me I would only have to pay half the amount to cover the lab fee, but in my rebuttal there was no lab fee since I canceled on the same day. ((There's no possible way my retainers were made in an hour.))

My ortho then changed her story, claimed she already made my retainer, and will proceed with the charge. We bargained a bit more and came up with me taking home the new retainer for half the price, however the new retainer fails to fit my teeth. She, on the other hand, states the retainer looks perfect.

Should I suck it up and pay for these half-baked retainers just to maintain good relationship with my orthodontist, or should I fight back and stand my ground because they've been walking allover me since day one?

Keep in mind she still has to finish my bottom teeth.

I appreciate the time you've spent reading my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 02:55 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I would stand my ground. You are the patient/customer and can chose to go somewhere else. You also canceled the same day. To top it off, the retainer doesn't fit you so I don't see how you should have to pay anything at all.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:04 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Be forewarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I would stand my ground.
Just remember that your teeth might end up looking similar to

Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Did your Ortho tell you when you called to cancel (the same day) that you would have to pay the lab fee or half the retainer cost? .... or did they tell you that later?

The difference is that you may have called a few hours later, but, the Ortho. office may not have processed the necessary 'Stop Work' paper until after the fact. (It may be more difficult to stop an order once it has been disseminated to multiple departments, than to initiate the order). In that case, they may have incurred an expense and some type of compromise is probably in order (half??).

Regardless of what you do, the fact that a retainer 'looks good' means little if it hurts or doesn't fit right. (eg; False teeth in a jar, probably 'look good' to an Ortho, but, that doesn't automatically make them 'fit good').

Last edited by jghorton; 08-19-2013 at 04:23 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,035 times
@glass_of_merlot and daveburns
Thank you for the reply. The "stand my ground" stance would be the winning choice if she couldn't make my life anymore miserable. She has the upper advantage as I already paid for the next 4 visits.

p.s. adorable child!

@jghorton Thank you for the response. The "lab fee" was mentioned first. The latter of the two was used during the negotiation phase. I understand where you are coming from with incurred expenses and we settled for half, half the cost of a retainer. Half the cost is still expensive and I know if we were to negotiate again after finalizing the issue will tick her off. Is this a battle I should fight?

Last edited by knickerbocker123; 08-20-2013 at 12:14 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
I would not pay for something which did not work (not fit in this case)

Regardless of the rest of the backstory.

Want the agreed upon 50%.... Give me a product to spec.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Let them know it doesn't fit and give them a chance to either stop the bill or make you a new one that actually fits. At least you will have a spare that way.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knickerbocker123 View Post
@glass_of_merlot and daveburns
Thank you for the reply. The "stand my ground" stance would be the winning choice if she couldn't make my life anymore miserable. She has the upper advantage as I already paid for the next 4 visits.

p.s. adorable child!

@jghorton Thank you for the response. The "lab fee" was mentioned first. The latter of the two was used during the negotiation phase. I understand where you are coming from with incurred expenses and we settled for half, half the cost of a retainer. Half the cost is still expensive and I know if we were to negotiate again after finalizing the issue will tick her off. Is this a battle I should fight?
The answer probably depends on the $$ amount represented by the new retainer vs the 4 prepaid visits... and whether it seems 'worth the battle' to you. Since you paid for 4-more visits, you should certainly use them to resolve the matter of the ill-fitting retainer. You might also contact another Ortho to see if they are willing to take on a patient ...in the middle of another Ortho's service plan.

You seem to have already agreed to pay for half of the new retainer and prepaid 4-more visits, so there is no point re-fighting that battle. Meanwhile, you might make partial payments against this account and slow-pay the balance (plus avoid committing to any additional services), until you are satisfied with the service/ products you have received.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Why not negotiate the price and include making the new retainer fit as part of that? You thought you lost one before, hence the need to get another. So now you'll have a spare.

There isn't a need to get confrontational in this situation. In today's work, things can get made very fast and there is something you're forgetting: when professionals bill not only on time but materials as well, there are costs to ordering something and then pulling back that order. Obviously, you needed the retainer right away so perhaps you let the Ortho know this. They expedited the service, then you cancel. Agreed that if the retainer wasn't yet made you shouldn't have to pay for it but think about all sides here and what is in your best long term interests.

Standing your ground makes sense when the outcome is best for you. That means the entire outcome, not only a financial one.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times
You also don't want this to be on your credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance