Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times

Advertisements

I just read a rather interesting article on yahoo.com (definitely not my source of the most serious news).

It was about a list of several very wealthy people in society who have decided not to leave their millions to their children:

Bill Gates
Warren Buffett
Jackie Chan
Nigela Lawson
Bernard Marcus (co-founder, Home Depot)

This got me thinking...

If you were in their positions, would you leave your amassed wealth to your children? Why or why not?

If you have been on either the giving or receiving end of a generous inheritance (and "generous," of course, is subjective), do you have any regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Yes, I would. I'd also give some to others and charity but most would go to them. I love them and I'm old-fashioned.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
I would hide it somewhere and start the treasure hunt of the century. An old man can have his fun, can he?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I would hide it somewhere and start the treasure hunt of the century. An old man can have his fun, can he?
haha! I know there's a famous billionaire doing the same. But I don't know if he has family or if he does, what his relationship to them.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 PM

l think it's very interesting...As someone who's grown up poor (and I do mean poor), the concept of monetary inheritance has NEVER existed in my family b/c we've never had the means to do so. However, my position is much more different now b/c I've worked very hard at work, and in a few years, my total net income and wealth will be very high.

I'm pretty conservative in my spending, and aside from student loans, I don't have any other financial obligations. I don't foresee this changing anytime soon...

Growing up, I had to to work part time in both high school and college to help support myself. I grumbled throughout those years, but in retrospect, I think those years of hard work and having to partially provide for myself really did teach me a lot about finances, discipline, and hard work. I had no money bequeathed to me. Whatever came into my hands was the result of physical labor and discipline...

This gives me a lot to think about in the future when I have children...

Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
I just read a rather interesting article on yahoo.com (definitely not my source of the most serious news).

It was about a list of several very wealthy people in society who have decided not to leave their millions to their children:

Bill Gates
Warren Buffett
Jackie Chan
Nigela Lawson
Bernard Marcus (co-founder, Home Depot)

This got me thinking...

If you were in their positions, would you leave your amassed wealth to your children? Why or why not?

If you have been on either the giving or receiving end of a generous inheritance (and "generous," of course, is subjective), do you have any regrets?

If I remember correctly, they are all leaving SOMETHING to their kids to give them a leg up in life, they just aren't leaving the bulk of their fortune to them.

I think this is a wise plan actually.

Ideally, you want to leave your kids in a position to build wealth for themselves.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM

To the Mods:

My apologies! I meant to place this in either the Nonromantic Relationships or Finances Forums. It was accidentally posted in the Relationships Forum. Please move it to the correct forum. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
To the Mods:

My apologies! I meant to place this in either the Nonromantic Relationships or Finances Forums. It was accidentally posted in the Relationships Forum. Please move it to the correct forum. Thanks!
No prob, erdocjolly. It's now in Personal Finance.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I don't believe these extremely wealthy people will not leave something behind for their kids... Anyone can lie, only few can find the truth...

Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,812 times
We have told our 3 adult children that they will have a paid for house and 2 paid for vehicles. Anything over that will be gravy! We have been very blessed and I'm sure there will be a little gravy for the kids and grandkids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance