Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:22 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,452,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by embe View Post
Buy a fire proof safe, the kind that can be drilled in the bottom for 4 lag bolts to go through. Put it in a closet or wherever you don't mind drilling holes in the floor, then bolt it it down. Dont overdrill the hole size or the lag bolts will not tighten. The lag bolts are on the inside, so the unit needs to be opened top be able to loosen the bolts.
You will see indentations on the inside bottom showing you where the homes for the bolts go through.
Seems like a lot of time and hassle to save $25 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 08:23 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,452,157 times
Also, if the safe deposit box route, get one higher off the ground. For two reasons (it's easier on your back) and if there's a flood, you're less likely to have your stuff get ruined.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,037,419 times
I'm not for safe deposit boxes really....My elderly mom and elderly aunt had one together, then my aunt died. And of course you don't think my 80 year old mom had a key, do you?

Thank Gd there was nothing we needed right away in the box.
The bank had no idea of the number to call the state office in charge of having come inspect the contents after a death. The number they gave me was the WRONG frigging number, which I called and called for MONTHS to no avail. I got a message and no one ever called back. Eventually I did my own search just called the state and finally got to the right office and person...SIX months later.

That hassle has forever turned me off of safe deposit boxes. I'm done with them. I was sooo pi$$ed and aggravated

Old 09-07-2013, 08:58 AM

17,576 posts, read 22,344,175 times
My buddy showed me a trick......PaperMate pen box you get when you buy a box of pens(holds 25 pens I think)......It holds $10,000 in 100 bills and the box looks the same as when it has pens in it. He had in a desk draw for years! We refer to it as the Bank of PaperMate!

In home safes: Only as good as the install. I saw one that was bolted to the floor but the burglars used the weight of the safe to break it loose from the floor and drag it to the front door. Only glitch was it was too heavy to lift off the floor....burglars got NOTHING from that exercise but snatched a laptop and a set of car keys. If they would have gotten it out the door and opened it they would have gotten 600K in uninsured jewelry. Owner started using a safe deposit box from then on. Owner didn't want the safe since it was scratched up so I took it.............yep in the garage sitting on the floor empty! It is about the size of a 2 draw filing cabinet so you can't store rifles in there but it is heavy.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:37 AM

22,726 posts, read 47,965,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If they would have gotten it out the door and opened it they would have gotten 600K in uninsured jewelry.
Real dumb on their part! Insurance is not that expensive...

Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM

17,737 posts, read 29,984,434 times
No one will be stealing one of these
http://www.amsecusa.com/Floor_Safes/...y_Floor_Safes/

This is what we have in our house.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:23 PM

17,576 posts, read 22,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Real dumb on their part! Insurance is not that expensive...
I agree......2 part bad luck but luckily the weight of the safe was the saving grace!

1. just moved, new house
2. all the jewelry was in one location due to the move (1200 mile relocation).

Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM

345 posts, read 997,761 times
No safe is fire proof, according to an arson investigator I know. Not even the ones buried in the ground or in concrete. Some safes have fire resistant ratings, though.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,297,752 times
All these hints about where one might hide things in a house are going to serve as a means of having your whole house trashed if the thieves have time....might end up having more loss than the value of the hidden cash.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,037,419 times
Unless the thief knows going in that he (since it's mostly men) has a lot of time, I still think most burglars want to get in and get out with the obvious valuables they can see -- grab and go. I just don't see them staying on the scene for too long looking for something that may not even be there. I know I wouldn't risk getting caught....and never find anything anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance