Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:30 PM

230 posts, read 536,128 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to pose the question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Throughout university, my dad claimed me as a dependent on his tax return despite that I largely paid my own way. He kept me on even when I moved back in and was working two jobs and supporting myself, though still living at home. I didn't know any better at the time, but I do now.

My question is, was it legal for him to do this? Should I seek restitution in some way? How much did he make off of me in total? Is it common for parents to do this? My wife mentioned this is entirely inappropriate and probably illegal, so I thought I should ask.

I was living in the US at the time, by the way.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to pose the question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Throughout university, my dad claimed me as a dependent on his tax return despite that I largely paid my own way. He kept me on even when I moved back in and was working two jobs and supporting myself, though still living at home. I didn't know any better at the time, but I do now. If you were living in his home, you would have a hard time proving he didn't have the right to claim you. Did you have a lease with him to prove you were paying your own housing expenses?

My question is, was it legal for him to do this? Yes Should I seek restitution in some way? No. What restitution would you seek anyway? How much did he make off of me in total? Probably not that much after factoring in housing expenses, electricity, cable, internet...whatever else you used while living in his home that you are not taking into account. Is it common for parents to do this? Yes, as long as their children are still dependent on them (in school full time and / or living at home). My wife mentioned this is entirely inappropriate and probably illegal Nope, not illegal.
I was living in the US at the time, by the way.

Thanks!
In all the time you were in college and then living in your father's home but working 2 jobs...did you ever file a tax return?? You filing one using your own social security number would have caused the IRS to question his right to claim you, since he would have used your SS number on his return also. If you didn't file taxes that whole time...you are going to open a huge can of worms for yourself by trying to get something back from your dad.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
You weren't really supporting yourself if you lived at home. I lived at home on and off during college and worked, but my parents claimed me as a dependent. It never occurred to me to be upset. Did you pay rent to them? Did you pay utilities to them? You must have a pretty awful relationship with your parents that this is bothering you so much after the fact you might try to take action against them.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
In all the time you were in college and then living in your father's home but working 2 jobs...did you ever file a tax return?? You filing one using your own social security number would have caused the IRS to question his right to claim you, since he would have used your SS number on his return also. If you didn't file taxes that whole time...you are going to open a huge can of worms for yourself by trying to get something back from your dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
You weren't really supporting yourself if you lived at home. I lived at home on and off during college and worked, but my parents claimed me as a dependent. It never occurred to me to be upset. Did you pay rent to them? Did you pay utilities to them? You must have a pretty awful relationship with your parents that this is bothering you so much after the fact you might try to take action against them.
Both of these are spot on.

OP, what do you mean by "largely" paid your own way? Are you talking tuition? Living expenses? What?

Most likely your parents "largely" paid your way most of your life, so what if they claimed you as a dependent while in college? Is is really worth making a stink about?

Our son works and has worked since he was 14. But we are paying for most of his college and he lives at home. Yes. We will and have claimed him as a dependent which does mean he will pay higher taxes. Pretty sure that's still cheaper than paying 100% of his own way right now. He's quite happy with the arrangement.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but, it does not appear that your real concern is with the legality of whether your father claimed you on his tax return. It sounds more like you strongly resent the fact that you worked and contributed to your support during college, instead of your father footing the entire bill.

Frankly, having put two kids through college and worked with a number of others, I seriously question just how much of your total cost of living you actually earned and paid for with 1 or 2 part-time jobs during college. (Did you actually pay for your entire room, board, books, tuition, fees, clothes, transportation, insurance, entertainment .... and all other costs at home and college??).

For example, my kids pretty much worked 'full-time' in higher-paying 'Intern' jobs during summers and a 5-6-week winter break (early 90's). Yet, they barely earned enough for spending money and some of their clothing and transportation costs. They sometimes 'felt' like they were "working their way through college" (my son even had a full room, board, tuition, fees scholarship), ... but, the reality is, they only paid a small percentage of their overall expenses.

There was perhaps a time (50's - 70's) when one might feasibly attend college full-time and also make a significant 'dent' in their overall expenses by working long hours at part-time jobs. But, today, that is simply not that feasible, unless, perhaps, one leaves college with significant college loans that take years to pay back (Was that your case?).

In any case, it sounds like you need to work out your personal issues with your father --- Ask him what he thinks about the notion that you paid your way through college, while he 'sat back and made tax money from your efforts.' You might discover that there are two sides to every story.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:14 PM

24 posts, read 54,474 times
Yeah, I'd be concerned with why you want to take money away from your father. You were living at home, which means he was supporting you. Get over it and move on with life. You're obviously married and on your own now, so leave it be as it just sounds vindictive.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Being claimed as a dependent can affect your eligibility for financial aid. Pell grants are a gift from the government of up to $5645 a year. If you have parents who make $50,000 a piece and are claiming you as a dependent, you are ineligible for a Pell grant. The governments rationale being you would get money as an "expected family contribution".

If your parents are claiming you as a dependent but aren't paying for any of your college, it would "cost" the student a few thousand bucks a year that they would otherwise be entitled to.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,552 times
Should you seek restitution? You mean blackmail your father?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
The process of claiming you independent for financial aide is very strict. Very few under the age of what I'd allowed would be allowed to claim that no matter what the circumstance. Not getting claimed on taxes does not correlate to being allowed to be claimed as independent on a FAFSA.

We knew a family who thought that if they didn't claim their child on taxes that meant that they were not on the hook for what the government says is their share of paying for the education. Not so anymore.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I want to know the OP's answer to this. THIS^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance