Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM

163 posts, read 424,806 times

Advertisements

I know someone who in their late 20's had already secured their retirement. Their motto was suffer now to benefit later. In their early life a relative taught them about investing and how to live off of very little, each pay raise they invested or put it away cause they realized in a brief time they'd already have spent that money & before you knew it someone would never know they got a raise.

So here they are they could retire now or back then at 29, they would be paid off a percentage of the interest the savings/investments earn around $50K a yr rest of interest is reinvested but they want to work maybe 10 more years and they won't say what net worth is either, so I've always wondered just how much of investment would it take to be paid $50K annually, I tried to do ruff math but couldn't figure it out.

That being said would you work again if you were assured that amt, only thing would be a total system crash to negatively effect your finances. Would u stop working as they're gonna do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Use any annuity calculator:

Annuity Calculator - Bankrate.com

Withdrawal Amount: $50,000.00 Annual Growth Rate: 4%
Interval Between Withdrawals: Yearly Length of Annuity: 60 years
Starting Principal: $1,176,421.48

Not saying your pal did not amass over a million dollars, but maybe our assumptions are different.

Here's all the math: Calculating The Present And Future Value Of Annuities

Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
i'm willing to call B.S. unless your friend's salary is incredibly high. i certainly could have done things differently and saved even more money, and i'm sure it changes things that i'm married and purchased a home, but we've done quite a lot of saving, nearly 20-25% of our annual income. amassing a million by age 29....i dunno. that said, i'm about 1/3 of the way there, so it's not impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance