Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
post a link to what you are seeing please
I'm either going crazy or they changed it, in which case I have to apologize. The plans I see now are lowest level Bronze is $229, with a $6100 deductible where you pay all costs upfront then nothing after deductible. The next step up is $250 for $5000 deductible where visits 1 & 2 the deductible is waived and then visits 3 and further are AFTER deductible. ER, maternity and surgery is still 40% after deductible though. The silver plan offers Dr. visits before deductible. I swear yesterday it said after! I mean I'm like 99.9999% sure. But it looks like that's not the case, which means it's not as bad. But the silver plan is still $280.

I still think the deductibles are rather higher given the premium amounts.

And I'm looking on the ehealthinsurance.com site since I can't get into the government site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
You don't have to buy insurance through the exchange. However, they are private plans, just like you would find elsewhere.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingonit View Post
Wait until it kicks in and then the premiums will be lower and the coverage better. It may take a little while, but it is supposed to even out after a few years. And remember, the only ones getting on the insurance will be healthy people as it progresses. Meaning lower premiums.
Since EVERY INDICATOR is showing otherwise.... Please support these fantasies with SOME kind of supporting facts!

Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It's not affordable at all. In fact, it's a scam to bankrupt all Americans and all businesses. You'd best hope that your insurance company hangs on.

I agree with this ^^^^ time to get that piece of crap outta office I hope the next guy in repeals it and it goes bye bye ...this is unconstitutional to force americans to buy something they cant use ...they have no plans for me or my husband .

Old 10-02-2013, 02:01 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingonit View Post
Wait until it kicks in and then the premiums will be lower and the coverage better. It may take a little while, but it is supposed to even out after a few years. And remember, the only ones getting on the insurance will be healthy people as it progresses. Meaning lower premiums.

Yep and the government will have all the info it needs on your health care and I can see in about 10 or 15 yrs this country taking all the sick people and putting them in a prison like system so as not to infect others and let the sick ones die .
I hope the next guy or gal that gets in there , repeals this aca crap .

Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I can see in about 10 or 15 yrs this country taking all the sick people and putting them in a prison like system so as not to infect others and let the sick ones die .
I'm really curious as to what else you can see. I bet it's entertaining.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
ehealthinsurance.com only has ACA plans now. Same prices as the state exchanges. They are no longer able to sell those other plans since they don't meet the minimum standards. This is for 2014.
No, you can still buy real health insurance though ehealthinsurance. It's just come 2014, those plans will either have to be changed to meet anti-ACA guidelines or will cancel. I'm still waiting to hear back from my insurer, but I've already received letters that if the plan isn't cancelled entirely to expect a hefty premium increase.

Keep waiting. When CA's exchange first came online (which was awhile ago) the cheapest plan was about 190% of what I currently pay for similar coverage minus the free preventive care visit which is about $150-$200. Today there are plans that are only 60% more expensive than I currently pay. Nobody really knows exactly what to expect with preexisting conditions, which is imo driving the price up. On the other hand, it depends how many healthy people decide to be gouged with 50-100% higher premiums versus how many just decide to pay the penalty and hope for the best.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
It seems that you would qualify for a subsidy if you make less than 400% of the poverty level. So a single person making roughly $28K is at 250% and the required premium is 8.05% of income or $192. So then it makes sense to select the most expensive plan and then get the tax credit for everything minus $192. Am I missing something? Is the subsidy a straight credit off of your taxes, or does it reduce your AGI?
It is a straight credit and not a reduction of your taxable income. Furthermore, I believe you will be able to take the credit in advance if you provide income information through the new federal healthcare exchange website. Meaning that from the get-go, your premium will be based on your income ($192 based on your numbers). But if you get a new job or something during the year and get a big bump in pay, you could end up owing money.

The 8.05% of income is based on purchasing the SILVER plan as I understand it. So if you get the more expensive plan, you will be paying more than 8.05% of income. So the premium will be higher than $192.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 PM

374 posts, read 721,844 times
As of this week, all of the poor hourly operators at my gf's company are being put to below 30 hours.

Obamacare helping the poor.

LOL

Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
This is a personal finance forum...
That logic could be used to explain a thread about how to get away with theft. After all, it has a positive financial end-result.

Quote:
For me, the 'human side' is tough to define in financial terms, and in 'end state' expectations/results.
That's natural, since human costs are considered by many to be orders of magnitude more important than monetary costs.

Quote:
No one suggested there is a simple answer to 'the problem'. The model is a high level financial simulation defining a few assumptions.
But it isn't. But I also acknowledge that you don't wish to think of it otherwise. Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance