Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This is exactly right. How many actual dollars you spend isn't the right 'measurement,' with a small pot to begin with every dollar represents a much higher % of the available pot. IMHO you can't linearly scale down a lifestyle and maintain everything you like to do. At some point the line flattens out quickly.
Nothing was scaled down. I was living on less than $20k before I made only $20k.

Quote:
BTW there's nothing, NOTHING that I spend 20% or more of my discretionary/fun money on and I make a lot more than $20K/year. That would be foolhardy. Probably not even 10 or 15%.
technically I have about $10k worth of discretionary income. Some years I only spend $1500-2000 of it.

Quote:
But there's no reasonable way to characterize it as 'living large.' Especially, for example, when someone has to characterize the Grand Canyon as "another hole in the ground" or exotic/historic places around the world as just as enjoyable in pictures as in real life.
It really depends on how you characterize living large. Obviously, my idea of living large is controlling ALL of my time, answering to no one and creating my own schedule. To me, I am living like a king.

And yes, I do consider the Grand Canyon to be just another hole. I'm sorry but this does not influence the way I see my life. I could go to the Grand Canyon RIGHT NOW if I wanted to. I have zero desire to do so. If I'm in the area, I may take a look one day, but I certainly don't feel a yearning to see it. This may make me appear less cultured, but whatever.

Quote:
Please note the subtle thing I'm getting at here...there is more than one way to enjoy the Grand Canyon...spectacular things can be done on the cheap there or you can stay at a nearby 4-star ranch with many options in between. But dismissing your lack of funds to experience it at all by saying "it's just another hole in the ground" and implying that if one does enjoy a real-life visit they're basically a foolish spendthrift is flat-out BS.
You are making assumptions. I never implied that one is a spendthift for wanting to see the Grand Canyon. I'm telling you that some people don't care to see it. And it's not because they can't afford it. I know millionaires that rarely leave a 30 mile radius. You are assuming that everone places the same importance on seeing the Grand Canyon as you.

Regardless, I'm one hour from the Appalachian mountains of NC/TN and 3 hours from the Outter Banks and beaches of NC/SC. It would probably take me 20 years to fully explore my own back yard.

Quote:
Basically I'm saying someone truly at peace with an authentic frugal lifestyle wouldn't need to imply that recreation/culture choices made by others are immediately the result of foolish spending.
I never said that. I'm simply saying that I can achieve an experience that I believe is comparable for much less. When we look at the average person making $40k/year, my $5-10k for frivolous spending is actually quite a large budget.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 01-07-2014 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
It really depends on how you characterize living large. Obviously, my idea of living large is controlling ALL of my time, answering to no one and creating my own schedule. To me, I am living like a king.
This is exactly the crux of what I am getting at.

You've chosen to define 'living large' in a manner which although I respect 100%...both the definition and your adherence to it...wouldn't define 'living large' as used in the vernacular by most people. I think that's why this thread has gone to dozens of pages. That term has been misleading to anyone who doesn't define it like you do.

When I lived your lifestyle I called it many things...living large was not one of them. I learned a lot, enjoyed it a ton, avoided lots of life's traps (I think), and made some healthy life-long habits. But 'living large' was one term I never used.

(as an aside my post was directed not specifically at you, there have been subsequent posters who don't seem to revel in listing the many things they "don't enjoy" while looking down on people who do)

Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
This is exactly the crux of what I am getting at.

You've chosen to define 'living large' in a manner which although I respect 100%...both the definition and your adherence to it...wouldn't define 'living large' as used in the vernacular by most people. I think that's why this thread has gone to dozens of pages. That term has been misleading to anyone who doesn't define it like you do.

When I lived your lifestyle I called it many things...living large was not one of them. I learned a lot, enjoyed it a ton, avoided lots of life's traps (I think), and made some healthy life-long habits. But 'living large' was one term I never used.

(as an aside my post was directed not specifically at you, there have been subsequent posters who don't seem to revel in listing the many things they "don't enjoy" while looking down on people who do)
I would say my definition is somewhat inline with how most folks define "living large".

I'd say most folks want to control all their time, but they also want enough money to live. If you told the average person to stop working and you would pay them $50k/year, I bet that would be a popular transaction.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
I would say my definition is somewhat inline with how most folks define "living large".
I will mildly and politely disagree. It's something. Something cool and admirable and valuable. But I think 'living large' is misleading.

Quote:
I'd say most folks want to control all their time, but they also want enough money to live. If you told the average person to stop working and you would pay them $50k/year, I bet that would be a popular transaction.
I agree it would be popular. But $50K is more than twice what you started discussing.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I will mildly and politely disagree. It's something. Something cool and admirable and valuable. But I think 'living large' is misleading.
I guess we agree to disagree. To me most people's idea of living large includes having copious amounts of free time.

Quote:
I agree it would be popular. But $50K is more than twice what you started discussing.
$20k is what I need to pay my bills. $50k is what the average person needs to pay their bills.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Just keep in mind OP, one of your examples of "living the good life" is posting on the internet all day. Most people replying to you here are posting from work and getting paid to do so.

As for sleeping 13 hours a day, I can't do that anymore. I used to in college, now 7.5-8 hours is perfect. Not sure you're living the good life sleeping your internet characters life away. When the character can only sleep 8 hours a night, he'll have that extra 5 hours to try to find something to do with for free

Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Just keep in mind OP, one of your examples of "living the good life" is posting on the internet all day. Most people replying to you here are posting from work and getting paid to do so.
But are they posting in their jammies at 1:30pm?

Quote:
As for sleeping 13 hours a day, I can't do that anymore. I used to in college, now 7.5-8 hours is perfect. Not sure you're living the good life sleeping your internet characters life away. When the character can only sleep 8 hours a night, he'll have that extra 5 hours to try to find something to do with for free
I need an alarm clock to wake up after 7.5-8 hrs sleep, and I'll hit the snooze button a few times. I prefer waking up naturally...that alone is worth at least $20k/yr to me. I'd say on average my brain needs 9.5-10 hrs to recharge.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
But are they posting in their jammies at 1:30pm?

I need an alarm clock to wake up after 7.5-8 hrs sleep, and I'll hit the snooze button a few times. I prefer waking up naturally...that alone is worth at least $20k/yr to me. I'd say on average my brain needs 9.5-10 hrs to recharge.
Well I'm self employed and work from home 80%-90% of the time, I wear gym shorts and a t-shirt. I also take lunchtime swims in the summer and wake up when I want as long as I book the $ I want that day. I also don't need an alarm clock. I'm up around the same time every day and usually turn the alarm clock off before it buzzes. You may have some kind of a condition you should see the doc over, or maybe depression?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Well I'm self employed and work from home 80%-90% of the time, I wear gym shorts and a t-shirt. I also take lunchtime swims in the summer and wake up when I want as long as I book the $ I want that day.
Well it seems we live a similar life aside from me not doing the work part. I do swim a little in the winter though (at the gym).

Quote:
I also don't need an alarm clock. I'm up around the same time every day and usually turn the alarm clock off before it buzzes.
You must have a bedtime? I go to bed any time between 8pm-5am. LOL. If I get interested in reading about something or working on something, I can't sleep.

Quote:
You may have some kind of a condition you should see the doc over, or maybe depression?
Making a potential diagnosis? Maybe you are one of those docs that see patients via the internet.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
I guess we agree to disagree. To me most people's idea of living large includes having copious amounts of free time.
Prison inmates have plenty of free time, as do non-working welfare recipients and those on full disability.

I feel the OP is characterizing something I have seen with a segment of people on government assistance, a desire to brag that they don't have to work and how cool is that. Then they purchase designer items to display they are living large on their little welfare check. Eddie is simply substituting this forum to show how he is living large on his minimal passive income. Neither is something most would aspire to, despite the free time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance