Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:08 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I save around 15K a month. To be honest just do it for as little as 6-9 years and it adds up.
Is this a joke or a typo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
That depends entirely on your personal goals, your income, and your expenses.

Someone who wants to retire by the time they're 50 is going to be saving heavily.

Someone who makes $100k/yr has the potential to save much more than someone making $35k/yr.

Someone up to their eyeballs in credit card debt is potentially saving less than someone who is debt free.

If OP wants to know how much s/he should be saving, s/he should put together some goals, figure out a time frame s/he wants to complete these goals, and save based on that. OP should speak to a financial planner, which often times is provided free of charge through your bank or your place of employment.

What does savings and retirement have to do with each other. I have no desire to retire early. Will work till at least 67.

I save a lot only cause my mortgage is long paid off, I have a rental property paid off, have two cars paid off. And my main house is small and easy to maintain. I also regularly grieve my property taxes and review insurance costs.

I have three young kids so I am busy with that which saves a lot of money as no time for expensive hobbies, fancy vacations or dinners out at expensive restaurants. I only drive to train so a newer used car every 10-15 years is fine.

But my salary has rising, portfolio throws off more and more income and I have rental income. I am at the point where my annual housing cost is one weeks pay.

Folks once they hit 45 have less and less expenses at least till kids hit college.

I know a buddy who lives in a paid off modest house, likes his neighbors does not want to move, kids in public schools and also drives to train so just has a plain old car. He is a CEO making around 6 million a year. He likes his job and has no desire to retire early.

Bottom line when your income far exceeds your expensives is when savings really starts to rise. Focus on earning more and keeping expenses the same or less.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Is this a joke or a typo?
Actually that is what I usually save each month. Not hard to do. If you max out your 401k and get a decent bonus of maybe 60-90K and then just save a few thousand each month out of paycheck you get to 15k average.

But you need extrmely little expenses to make it work. Most folks if they had an extra 15k would buy a big trade up car, lease two new cars, hire a baby siter, go out to fancy dinners and vacations.

I go to dinner I order off dollar menu.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times
Quote:
Actually that is what I usually save each month. Not hard to do. If you max out your 401k and get a decent bonus of maybe 60-90K and then just save a few thousand each month out of paycheck you get to 15k average.

But you need extrmely little expenses to make it work. Most folks if they had an extra 15k would buy a big trade up car, lease two new cars, hire a baby siter, go out to fancy dinners and vacations.

I guess if one makes 250k/year it's possible. At 100k/year it might be a stretch. Not applicable to 95% of the people in the US, though.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:28 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
What does savings and retirement have to do with each other. I have no desire to retire early. Will work till at least 67.

I save a lot only cause my mortgage is long paid off, I have a rental property paid off, have two cars paid off. And my main house is small and easy to maintain. I also regularly grieve my property taxes and review insurance costs.

I have three young kids so I am busy with that which saves a lot of money as no time for expensive hobbies, fancy vacations or dinners out at expensive restaurants. I only drive to train so a newer used car every 10-15 years is fine.

But my salary has rising, portfolio throws off more and more income and I have rental income. I am at the point where my annual housing cost is one weeks pay.

Folks once they hit 45 have less and less expenses at least till kids hit college.

I know a buddy who lives in a paid off modest house, likes his neighbors does not want to move, kids in public schools and also drives to train so just has a plain old car. He is a CEO making around 6 million a year. He likes his job and has no desire to retire early.

Bottom line when your income far exceeds your expensives is when savings really starts to rise. Focus on earning more and keeping expenses the same or less.
I think you are imparting your own view on that post. They didn't say that savings was ONLY tied to retirement, simply they pointed out a scenario that affects how much people save (people who want to retire early).

I enjoy what I do but I still plan to retire early and then just work occasionally or do charitable work or run a small local business. Things that don't net me the kind of income I have now but would enjoy doing without worrying about how much I make.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:

Do I really have to point out to you that your income is well beyond the median, and that the vast majority of us don't have the means to save $15k each month?

Or do you just mean it isn't hard for YOU to do?

Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,448 times
Quote:

Congratulations on your ability to have $180k a year in extra income.

Now realize that's over 3 times the median household income in the US and you'll see why no one thinks what you're doing is impressive at all.

Your "decent bonus" alone is more than most people make entirely.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post

Now realize that's over 3 times the median household income in the US and you'll see why no one thinks what you're doing is impressive at all.

if his annual housing expense is one weeks pay, im impressed.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post

I'm impressed by his savings because most people making that amount of money don't have the discipline to order off the dollar menu. That takes extreme willpower. I'm assuming that he makes around $300K+ (I would have guessed less but he mentioned he has 3 kids). At that level even I wouldn't order off the dollar menu and I'm consider myself extremely frugal.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I'm impressed by his savings because most people making that amount of money don't have the discipline to order off the dollar menu. That takes extreme willpower. I'm assuming that he makes around $300K+ (I would have guessed less but he mentioned he has 3 kids). At that level even I wouldn't order off the dollar menu and I'm consider myself extremely frugal.
Heavens no! Eating off the dollar menu is okay every blue moon, but to do so often is savings in the bank, but cost to health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance