Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,260,869 times

Advertisements

The single most important thing you need in your financial life is excellent credit. Do you have a credit card yet? If not, get one, and then another one, and then another one. 3 is a good number of active credit cards to have. And never, ever, miss a single payment. Thank me later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:57 PM

592 posts, read 803,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
The single most important thing you need in your financial life is excellent credit. Do you have a credit card yet? If not, get one, and then another one, and then another one. 3 is a good number of active credit cards to have. And never, ever, miss a single payment. Thank me later.
Don't listen to this... Excellent credit is nice but it's more important to have cash in hand.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:11 AM

199 posts, read 301,283 times
Thank you for all the replies! I'm scheduled to meet next week to set learn about and hopefully set up a 403b.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:31 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,504,481 times
Sounds like you on the right track...start those retirement plans, and saving up a nest egg for car repairs, house down-payment, emergencies.

Next: spend some of that money and travel!...you guys are young and on a stable financial footing. Get out and see the world before you get married, have kids and have to spend weekends mowing the lawn. You can do it on the cheap and have alot of fun.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM

3,942 posts, read 6,855,867 times
You are doing great! The only two things I have on you are my retirement savings ($11K+ in Roth 401K/IRA) and my income is higher ($4200/month). But I am 25 and would love to have the savings you have!

Open up a Roth IRA so that you can contribute post tax dollars into a retirement account to grow tax free. At your age, and especially at the current tax rates, you are more likely to pay more in taxes once you collect your retirement. I am not sure what the 403B is either but an IRA account is pretty much necessary for when you get older anyway, so may as well start now even if you don't contribute to it if you're focused on the 403B.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,620,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
Hello,

I first want to start out and say that this message board is very interesting and insightful. The members of this forum really put forth and effort to give personal strategy and advice, and I am very appreciative of all your help.

I also want to mention that I am very 'financially basic', AKA I really don't know a lot... But I am very interested and dedicate to learn!

------

I am a soon to be 25 year old Registered Nurse, working in step down ICU at a hospital.

I am single guy (with a girlfriend who I could see myself spending the rest of my life with), living in an apartment with my 24 year old roommate. I have no debt. I drive a 2008 vehicle with only 56k miles on it.

I have three banks in which I do business with:

Associated Bank:
Savings: $10,689.74
Checking: $2,049.21

Charles Schwab:
Checking: $100.10
Savings: $34.823.97

Summit Credit Union:
24 month CD (coming due 3/14): $20,246.91

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My salary is $33.43/hr. I roughly make around ~ $1400 every two weeks, working as a 0.7 FTE.

Set Expenses:

Rent: $954 (/2): $477 + $40 parking: $517

Cable/Internet: $98 (/2): $49

Electricity: Varies as seasons change, never higher than $60 thus far, so let's keep $60/month

Gym: $29.99/month

Cell Phone: $62/month

Misc: Hard to gauge. Varies, but I'm not a huge spender/splurger.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love my job and life currently, but I know that in the future expenses will be greater when I say, own a home with kids, etc. Am I looking for a house now? No. Maybe in two years or so.

But I'd like to know what advice or things I should do now to help make retirement easier as I continue to grow up and develop as me.

My work offers an 403b (which I am finally getting around to learning in the next few weeks). It is something like they will match ~3% (like I said, I am stupid in this department and will learn more) while also offering a sort of 'defined' match once I am vested or something in that nature.

I am wondering, what could I do now to speed up the process? I don't know ANYTHING other than CD's.. and I know they give you paltry returns, so I am interested in learning about something with greater returns. Do I have the funds currently to take part in something else?

I'd like to think I am doing alright since I have a stable job with zero debt. I don't know how much money I'm supposed to 'have' at this age. I don't think there is a specific number, but I hope I am doing well.

Am I on the right path? What do I need to know? Yes, I AM stupid here, and am looking for any advice on how to make my financial future easier / comfortable.

Not contributing to retirement accounts is unwise. You will never get that tax-advantaged space back. If you contribute nothing now, you cannot "make up for it" later by contributing more, the IRS max amount you can contribute per year still applies.

Also, don't keep more than 6 months living expenses in cash unless you are going to buy a car soon. You are losing out on quite a lot of potential dividends and capital growth by doing so.

Finally, as for a house, don't buy one unless it is priced at less than 100 times your monthly rent. And never fall victim to the consumerist temptation to increase the size of your living space beyond 300-400 sqft per person. Anything more is a waste of money.

Then you are on track to a wonderful financial future! (Of course, don't forget health and disability insurance - these are important...)

Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Sounds like you on the right track...start those retirement plans, and saving up a nest egg for car repairs, house down-payment, emergencies.

Next: spend some of that money and travel!...you guys are young and on a stable financial footing. Get out and see the world before you get married, have kids and have to spend weekends mowing the lawn. You can do it on the cheap and have alot of fun.
Not everyone likes travel that much - don't be so presumptuous! I also encourage people not to travel too much because it increases your carbon footprint tremendously, especially air travel. I would probably never fly more than 20,000 miles a year even if I had a billion dollars and wanted to explore, because my conscience won't allow it. Climate problem is too urgent...

Old 02-12-2014, 07:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,928,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Climate problem is too urgent...
Really? How so? So stifling commerce will change this??

Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
No, the single best thing you can do is live your life in such a way that you don't even need a credit score at all, because you don't borrow money.

If you want something expensive, scrimp and save. And if houses are so expensive you can't save for them in 5 or 10 years, just rent and invest the difference in growth stock mutual funds. You will come out ahead in the long run. Ahead of the people who think you can't live without borrowing money!!!

You will thank ME later - not anyone who thinks you should play the debt game.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Really? How so? So stifling commerce will change this??
Not commerce in general - just the high-emissions sectors of the economy. Air travel is one of the worst. To be fair, though, coal-to-liquids processing is worse still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance