Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times

Advertisements

I had my wages garnished by a company called Midland Credit. I didn't know who they were or what is was for so I filed for a motion to vacate. I got a letter in the mail from the judge saying that the motion was granted. My question is how do I get the money back that they took out of my checks? Do I need to file another motion or does it happen automatically? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 02:00 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
You don't have any contact info from Midland Credit? Your H.R. department (I assume they're the ones who processed the garnishment) had no info either?

They garnished your wages without any warning at all?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:07 PM

23,613 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Did the judge only grant the motion? And you have an upcoming court date? Or, did the judge actually grant to vacate?
If the judge only 'granted the motion' then it isn't vacated yet.

If the motion was granted, you've been to court after that and the judge actually granted to vacate , then the court has probably given a copy of it to Midland.
You can always follow it up yourself by making a copy of the vacate order that the court has given you and send it, along with a cover letter explaining that the judgment was vacated, list out each amount that had already been taken, and ask that they refund those amounts - send it to both Midland and to their lawyer. If Midland doesn't comply then you'd have to go back to court and have the judge make them comply.
Also, order copies of your credit reports and have them mailed to you. If the judgment is on them then make copies of the letter you received from the court and send those to the CRA's, along with a cover letter asking for removal of the judgment from your reports.

If 'only the motion was granted' then you'll have to wait until your court date and for the judge to grant to vacate. If when you filed the motion to have it vacated, if you didn't also file a motion to stay execution of writ of garnishment, which was 'also' granted by the judge, then they may continue to garnish until the judge actually grants the vacate.

One other thing you need to be aware of...if it was vacated on a technicality that can be corrected, and there is nothing that the judge says about them not being able to file suit again, then they might re-file the suit. They might not, but there could be the possibility that they may.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You don't have any contact info from Midland Credit? Your H.R. department (I assume they're the ones who processed the garnishment) had no info either?

They garnished your wages without any warning at all?
Yep no warning at all.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Did the judge only grant the motion? And you have an upcoming court date? Or, did the judge actually grant to vacate?
If the judge only 'granted the motion' then it isn't vacated yet.

If the motion was granted, you've been to court after that and the judge actually granted to vacate , then the court has probably given a copy of it to Midland.
You can always follow it up yourself by making a copy of the vacate order that the court has given you and send it, along with a cover letter explaining that the judgment was vacated, list out each amount that had already been taken, and ask that they refund those amounts - send it to both Midland and to their lawyer. If Midland doesn't comply then you'd have to go back to court and have the judge make them comply.
Also, order copies of your credit reports and have them mailed to you. If the judgment is on them then make copies of the letter you received from the court and send those to the CRA's, along with a cover letter asking for removal of the judgment from your reports.

If 'only the motion was granted' then you'll have to wait until your court date and for the judge to grant to vacate. If when you filed the motion to have it vacated, if you didn't also file a motion to stay execution of writ of garnishment, which was 'also' granted by the judge, then they may continue to garnish until the judge actually grants the vacate.

One other thing you need to be aware of...if it was vacated on a technicality that can be corrected, and there is nothing that the judge says about them not being able to file suit again, then they might re-file the suit. They might not, but there could be the possibility that they may.
Thanks for the reply. My motion was granted cause "the venue was improper in this case". Basically they filed the judgment in the wrong court.
I spoke with their attorney and he said that they are file a motion against that ruling since they didn't have enough time to respond. I'll know more info in a couple of days. He tried to offer to settle but I explained to him that I won't settle on a debt that I never owed.

Midland credit is a company that buys old debt from companies

Old 03-21-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Thanks for the reply. My motion was granted cause "the venue was improper in this case". Basically they filed the judgment in the wrong court.
I spoke with their attorney and he said that they are file a motion against that ruling since they didn't have enough time to respond. I'll know more info in a couple of days. He tried to offer to settle but I explained to him that I won't settle on a debt that I never owed.

Midland credit is a company that buys old debt from companies
Honestly, I'm really confused/surprised by all this. I've never had my wages garnished, but I always assumed it was a rather long, drawn-out process, and could only be done for certain kinds of debts (e.g. overdue child support, IRS charges). Their attorney couldn't give you any other info (e.g. where the debt came from, who the original creditor was)?

Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Honestly, I'm really confused/surprised by all this. I've never had my wages garnished, but I always assumed it was a rather long, drawn-out process, and could only be done for certain kinds of debts (e.g. overdue child support, IRS charges). Their attorney couldn't give you any other info (e.g. where the debt came from, who the original creditor was)?
It's been a long drawn out process. I've been dealing with this issue since 2012. Every attorney I tried to get wanted $1000 upfront to fight the case and I didn't have the money since my wages were being garnished. Their attorney said that is for an old banc one credit card but I told him that I never had a banc one credit card.

The payments were fulfilled in November 2013 then 3 weeks ago they started garnishing my wages again for interest. That's when I filed for the 2nd motion to vacate ( first one was denied). I noticed that my old address was in Green ohio not the city of Akron where they filed the judgement. That's why my motion was granted.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
It's been a long drawn out process. I've been dealing with this issue since 2012. Every attorney I tried to get wanted $1000 upfront to fight the case and I didn't have the money since my wages were being garnished. Their attorney said that is for an old banc one credit card but I told him that I never had a banc one credit card.

The payments were fulfilled in November 2013 then 3 weeks ago they started garnishing my wages again for interest. That's when I filed for the 2nd motion to vacate ( first one was denied). I noticed that my old address was in Green ohio not the city of Akron where they filed the judgement. That's why my motion was granted.
Hmmm. From what you wrote in the OP, it sounded like your wages were garnished completely out of the blue and you had absolutely no idea why. Now you say "the payments were fulfilled in November 2013," which implies that you DO know why, and you thought you had paid the bill as of November 2013, but now they are coming after your for interest. I don't mean to be harsh (sounds like you are going through something really crappy), but those are two different stories.

Credit cards often change companies (e.g. my Bank of America MasterCard was sold to Barclay's), so maybe Banc One used to be something else? (Actually, from googling, I saw that they were associated with First USA, which is now Chase -- I know only because I've had one of their cards since the early '90s and it has changed names more than once.) But again, if you were paying through November 2013, seems like you knew SOMETHING about who the creditor was?

If you won the most recent motion based simply on a technicality, then it's likely that as soon as they file in the correct court, you'll be on the hook again. If you truly have no idea who the creditor is/was, as it sounded like from what you told their lawyer ("I won't settle on a debt I never owed"), then it seems like this should have been thrown out a long time ago. I don't think garnishments are that easy (unless Ohio is an exception) -- they would had to have proven that it WAS your debt.

Again, I don't mean to be harsh or judgmental ... what you are saying just seems really odd.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:43 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:

To be frank, from a Marylander's perspective, it appears the judge who signed the Motion to Vacate made an error. But since I don't practice in law in Ohio ... <shrug>

I am curious, however. Did your Motion to Vacate ask the court to vacate the original judgment or the petition/request for a wage garnishment?

Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Check out debtorboard on line. Has a lot about Midland Credit, statute of limitations, fighting collections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance