Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 AM

455 posts, read 901,248 times

Advertisements

With 2013's tax deadline being today, I hear a lot of people groaning and talking about extensions. I'm just curious as to why this is a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 AM

871 posts, read 2,119,345 times
The most common reason is that they owe money. If so, people generally wait as long as possible before filing and paying.

Another reason is complicated tax situations. For example, if you receive a Schedule K, work as an independent contractor with many clients (and many 1099s), filing is complex, confusing, and requires significant amount of time. People would rather spend that time working (earning more) or in leisure than navigating the tax code. Hence also the need/desire for extensions.

Yes, there are people who could easily file much earlier, but it's also human nature to procrastinate. It happens every year.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,178,553 times
I used to file as soon as I had all of my forms, because I used to get a nice refund. I preferred that rather than changing my exemptions for withholding because it was sort of a forced savings account, and I would then use the refund for a major purchase or a vacation. Now that my kids are grown, my house is almost paid off, and I'm retired and only working part time, I always end up owing. So whereas I may do a quick calculation at some point to get an idea of what I owe, I don't finish and file until the last minute.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM

455 posts, read 901,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
The most common reason is that they owe money. If so, people generally wait as long as possible before filing and paying.

Another reason is complicated tax situations. For example, if you receive a Schedule K, work as an independent contractor with many clients (and many 1099s), filing is complex, confusing, and requires significant amount of time. People would rather spend that time working (earning more) or in leisure than navigating the tax code. Hence also the need/desire for extensions.

Yes, there are people who could easily file much earlier, but it's also human nature to procrastinate. It happens every year.
Thanks. I'll reply in more detail later.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 AM

552 posts, read 836,956 times
I wait to mail mine in til the last day cause i owe money all the time. Why give money to the government early?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 AM

18,568 posts, read 15,687,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
With 2013's tax deadline being today, I hear a lot of people groaning and talking about extensions. I'm just curious as to why this is a thing.
Student syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 AM

35,254 posts, read 31,612,831 times
1) They're procrastinating. Lots of people wait to the last minute to do anything for whatever reason.

2) They owe money and either want to hold off to the last minute to pay to "stick it to the government," or they cannot afford to pay earlier.

3) As mentioned, complicated tax situations.

I ended up owing this year but I did my taxes in February. I'd rather just suck it up and know where I stand than have it hanging over my head.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 8,633,259 times
If you are going to get a refund, why not do it early? You have already given the government an interest free loan for a year, so you might as well get it back early.

My wife and I are DINKs, (double income, no kids) so it takes some real work with the new laws each year to break even instead of paying half our saleries to the fed.

It's sometimes more work to keep your money than it is to earn it in the first place

So I don't worry about being early anymore, I have to spend that extra time just to keep a little of what I have, so I usually file the last part of March.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 AM

231 posts, read 496,331 times
Tax accountant busy..will only estimate taxes due and we file for a 6 month extension. Plus I don't get K-1's till the last minute sometimes.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,789,676 times
I usually do not have all my information from my investment firms and every year there is some type of a screw up. It really doesn't matter, as, I file estimated taxes quarterly and send some more loot with the extension. After it is all said and done, I usually get a small refund...real small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance