Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,517,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Excessive in what sense? Why do you think you get to decide how much money someone else should have? It isn't a zero-sum game.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,979,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
A very well known financial personality borrows a term from nuclear reactions to describe what ought to be the goal for retirement planning -- Critical Mass | atomicarchive.com The amount of a fissionable material's critical mass depends on several factors; the shape of the material, its composition and density, and the level of purity.

I tend to agree with the theoretical open-endedness of such a target. If some one has financial holdings that "self replenish" regardless of how things go then you can continue to live your chosen lifestyle indefinitely.

As a practical matter it is extremely rare for this to really happen -- people decide to "treat" themselves with something like a special vacation house or exotic car or yacht and these things end up being "money eating machines" that destroy the self-sustaining features one may have 'baked in" to their portfolio.

I know dozens of people, both men and women, that have gotten into relationships after retirement that swallowed up huge portions of what was supposed to be a "self sustaining retirement income", to say nothing of the funds eaten up by lawyers...

I also know a depressingly large number of folks that have ended up supporting adult children, in-laws, parents and all kinds of extended family that just did not have the sense of responsibility / foresight as folks that planned out what to do with their earnings.

It is also depressing how quickly even relatively healthy folks with issues like mobility can end up needing very costly assistance as they age, to say nothing of the insanely costly care required of folks with more serious health issues...

To be sure all these issues really are unpredictable -- there are some folks that never face any these things and get hit by a bus the day after they "hang up the spurs". Other folks live to a ripe old age in near perfect health, with family equally prosperous / healthy. Most competent financial planners advice folks to make a fair assessment of their own health and their tolerance to "say no" to those looking for a handout and plan accordingly.

Alternatively? Get a job in state like Illinois where folks can use their relationship to political dynasties to get a pension that is bottomless income for life, far exceeding BOTH what they ever put into the system OR even what they ever earned -- Citizens for Reasonable And Fair Taxes: State lawmakers' pension jackpot
You need a shot of sunshine, my friend.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 AM

592 posts, read 804,825 times
I don't think any amount is "excessive" and I would say $10 million dollars is wealthy because you shouldn't have to rely on a job at that point. Your money should be working for you.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,351,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Only on C-D would someone say ten million is not wealthy. One hundred million isn't the wealth of one billion, but ten million and up is wealthy.
I don't think anyone said that a net worth of $10 million isn't wealthy. The question is whether a net worth of in excess $10 million is excessive. In this day and age I really don't think it is, despite the fact that it's more than I would ever need.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,351,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
When I say net worth that does not include your home.

It only includes cash, stocks, funds, etc.....
Why wouldn't it include your home? Is the guy with a $100,000 home and $10 million in other assets living a more excessive lifestyle that a guy with a $5 million home and $9 million in other assets?

What if you home is a farm worth $10 million, and all your wealth building goes into the expansion of the farm?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:59 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,484,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
$10,000,000 in net worth....beyond that is excessive?
Do you agree with my thread title?
No.
I'm probably one of the few that considers even $10 million excessive.
Good ghod, what's the point of having that much? Besides bragging rights?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,469,501 times
If i had $10M of net worth, excluding my house (i guess because it's considered an illiquid asset?) then that would be more than enough for me and my wife. it's an excess of what I have set for our retirement target. if i had that much at my current age (32), i'd be comfortable retiring from "real work" (5 day job) and venturing out into other things to create a modest income stream beyond what some sensible investing of $10M would get me annually.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM

37,621 posts, read 61,717,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't think anyone said that a net worth of $10 million isn't wealthy. The question is whether a net worth of in excess $10 million is excessive. In this day and age I really don't think it is, despite the fact that it's more than I would ever need.
When you say 'excessive', what do you mean. It sounds like you want to imply that it is somehow rude.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 PM

592 posts, read 804,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When you say 'excessive', what do you mean. It sounds like you want to imply that it is somehow rude.

My take on it as well. I'm still waiting for the explanation.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:13 AM

30,921 posts, read 37,117,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
10mm is my retirement target once the wife and I hit that we are done working
Why anyone would work to accumulate that much is beyond me. $10M with a very conservative 3% withdrawal rate is $300K per year. How much income does one need????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance