Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 PM

196 posts, read 649,382 times

Advertisements

I went to a new Dentist around one year ago because my old dentist retired. The Dentist diagnosed me with all these cavities, which I'm not sure I believe I really had thinking back on it - but that is besides the point.

The dentist then filled some of the cavities but without asking me he put in the white filling instead of the silver filling. I was not even aware that they had white fillings up until this point I had only gotten the silver.

My insurance covers only the silver filling 100% and white filling 50% The fillings were in the back so there was no reason I needed the white filling.

So needless to say I was pissed and I left without paying the 50% my insurance company didn't pay.

This dentist is constantly sending me mail about this $100 that I owe him.

Is it possible for this dentist to send this bill to the collection agency? Is there any way I can dispute this or take him to court?

If I have excellent credit how much would this hurt your credit score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,104,057 times
I really don't think it's worth risking your credit score at all for $100. In my opinion, it is the patient's responsibility to ask how much things are going to cost before getting the work done.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,620,189 times
I agree that it stinks!

However, given that more and more employers are checking credit (which I think should be illegal for most positions), you might want to pay the $100 to keep your credit clean.

(And he did do the work, so you did get something for it, even if it's not what you wanted)

Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM

well I had a printout of my insurance coverage and it says 100% for fillings

you have to call them to find out that they don't cover the white filling and not the silver one

but i'm sure the dentist knew that information ahead of time because they get a more comprehensive view of the insurance.

perhaps I can dispute this with the insurance company?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
perhaps I can dispute this with the insurance company?
It's worth a try!

Good luck with that. I had a similar stupid problem with what insurance would pay when I had a mole removed about 20 years ago. They would pay for laser (expensive) but not for freezing (cheaper). Go figure.

I ended up having to pay $80 out of pocket. Lesson learned. Check in advance!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
I would just pay the $100.

Odds are the dentist has no idea what your plan cover and what it doesn't, and in what percent.

S/He has front off staff that deal with the insurance companies, each plan and there are hundreds of them, have different pay rates, whats cover and whats not, and in what percent, co/pay deductibles etc.

You need to be assertive before they do the work, they can do a estimated insurance form, they file it (electronically) with your insurance company, they (Your Ins Comp) replies back what is covered and in what percents.

Then you can talk to the doctor about different options for lowering the costs if needed.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 PM

If I send them a check for something like $5 and say this is all I can afford at this time but I intend to pay and ask for a plan to be setup can they still send it to collections?

I just want to draw this out as long as possible because this dentist is a fraud and a con artist

Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
Q: how much is it going to cost you for new X-Ray, First Exam at your new Dentist? Cause S/He will not see you till you pay.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM

This was one year ago, I've been to other dentists 5-6 times after this occurred

Old 07-02-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
can they still send it to collections?
Yes. In theory, they can do that with any amount less than the full balance. In practice, if you send $50, they might hold off. It depends on them. I know one dentist who just sent everything not paid in full by a certain time to collections. He just did. And then wrote that all off as bad debt on his taxes.

OP, I recommend you send him the money and then try to get it out of your insurance company.

But, yes, do you really want this situation annoying you the remainder of the summer? Be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance