Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times

Advertisements

I personally always stick with the regular cash back cards, just because cash is universal. I don't have a preferred hotel or airline, so I like having cash that can be used anywhere. I have multiple cash back cards and leverage their bonuses: Chase Freedom and Citi Dividend have the rotating bonuses and they are hardly if ever the same, and then BofA has set bonuses for gas and groceries. If one of my rotating cards has a bonus I use it, otherwise I always use BofA for gas/groceries, and all non-bonused purchases get evenly spread across the cards.

I do favor BofA since I get a 10% bonus to my points each month for redeeming into a BofA checking account, but I still like to stagger balances as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:27 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
My Amex Blue Cash card is on the old rewards program so i get 1.5% on gas grocery and pharmacy and 0.25% on all else, til I hit $6,500 in spending for the calendar year, then I get 5% on gas, grocery, pharmacy, and 1.25% on all else. So i use this primarily, and then i have a few others that pay more for specific scenarios (costco amex gives me 2% on costco, citi card gives me 3% on restaurants/bars, etc.).

i'll apply for a hotel or airline card when i'm about to travel, to get the points dump and cash it in for a discount or free travel.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
My Amex Blue Cash card is on the old rewards program so i get 1.5% on gas grocery and pharmacy and 0.25% on all else, til I hit $6,500 in spending for the calendar year, then I get 5% on gas, grocery, pharmacy, and 1.25% on all else.
that sounds basically like reverse of what i get on my blue cash preferred. i get 6% grocery stores, 3% dept stores & gas, 1% all else up until 6,000. then its 1% on everything.

so is the 6,500 spending in any category? then you can get 5% up until an unlimited amount on gas grocery & pharmacy? id have to guess not because that would be abused like crazy.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that sounds basically like reverse of what i get on my blue cash preferred. i get 6% grocery stores, 3% dept stores & gas, 1% all else up until 6,000. then its 1% on everything.

so is the 6,500 spending in any category? then you can get 5% up until an unlimited amount on gas grocery & pharmacy? id have to guess not because that would be abused like crazy.
yes, once my total spending hits $6,500 in a calendar year, I get the 5%/1.25% for the rest of the year. They changed it to what you have a couple of years ago, but let existing cardholders keep the old program. Though, they tried aggressively to get us to 'upgrade' to a version with an annual fee of $79 that at first glance appears to be better, but if you look at what most people spend money on, my card is pretty valuable.

We spend about $400/month on gas, and anywhere from $700-$1,000 on groceries . so i get $50 back per month minimum. i hit the $6500 quickly because i have yankee season tickets that i pay for every january.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
yes, once my total spending hits $6,500 in a calendar year, I get the 5%/1.25% for the rest of the year. They changed it to what you have a couple of years ago, but let existing cardholders keep the old program. Though, they tried aggressively to get us to 'upgrade' to a version with an annual fee of $79 that at first glance appears to be better, but if you look at what most people spend money on, my card is pretty valuable.

We spend about $400/month on gas, and anywhere from $700-$1,000 on groceries . so i get $50 back per month minimum. i hit the $6500 quickly because i have yankee season tickets that i pay for every january.
one major issue i see with no cap is that people can manufacture spending to generate tons of cash back. i can buy gift cards for $500 & pay a 5.95 fee (netting 19.05 per gift card of profit). then i can transfer that money over to bluebird and write checks from it. it seems to be getting more and more difficult, but many people can still do this a lot.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:52 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
Quote:
one major issue i see with no cap is that people can manufacture spending to generate tons of cash back. i can buy gift cards for $500 & pay a 5.95 fee (netting 19.05 per gift card of profit). then i can transfer that money over to bluebird and write checks from it. it seems to be getting more and more difficult, but many people can still do this a lot.
Not sure how it is handled, but most of my cash back cards specifically say that gift cards don't qualify for cash back.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
i haven't tested out buying gift cards at a grocery store, but i've thought about it. maybe i'll buy an amazon gift card this week and see what it gets categorized as on my statement. i do think GCs are excluded but i'm not sure.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
i haven't tested out buying gift cards at a grocery store, but i've thought about it. maybe i'll buy an amazon gift card this week and see what it gets categorized as on my statement. i do think GCs are excluded but i'm not sure.
i have tried it out successfully. here is the rewards summary from my recent statement. the problem these days is getting them to load the gift cards to bluebird at walmart. some employees refuse. i talked to a couple of managers and they said "if it runs, its ok" and it always has run. but last time i went there the manager said no, so i snuck to a cashier and was able to get them loaded. i did a little googling and some people say there visa vanilla gift cards have stopped working, but im pretty sure thats what i use. i dont know but its annoying loading these things and being hassled about it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance