Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,410 times

Advertisements

One of my Aunts is very wealthy and in her nineties. Her only close relatives are her six nieces and nephews. (She had no children, and her parents, husband, and brothers and sisters have all died.)

I hate to admit it but I am one of those nephews who spend lots of time with her. Myself and the other five nieces and nephews are all fighting for her attention and approval and we spend lots of time helping her out. Yes, we love her because she is family but I wonder if she was not wealthy and working on her will, if anyone of us would spend so much time with her and try to be so nice and helpful.

Do you know anyone who is in this situation? It would be easy to be politically correct and say all six of us should be ashamed of ourselves but......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 47,866,550 times
" Anyone get an inheritance from someone outside of their immediate family?"
Nope.
I never even got an inheritance from someone INSIDE my immediate family.

And yeah... fighting for attention and approval because she is wealthy is wrong.

She just might see through that, you know. The joke COULD be on you when she leaves all her money to an animal rescue group... (or something similar!).

Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 AM

43,841 posts, read 44,614,906 times
My great-aunt (father's aunt) had no children and when she died her money was split between her 4 nieces & nephews and 9 great-nieces & great-nephews. Nobody fought to get more inheritance as it was known that the largest part would go to my cousin (a great-nephew) who was born with a birth-defect and had a family to support and that was acceptable to all.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM

21,245 posts, read 19,859,694 times
You mean to tell me, if I convince my nieces and nephews that I am wealthy, they'll all be fighting to take care of me?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 47,866,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You mean to tell me, if I convince my nieces and nephews that I am wealthy, they'll all be fighting to take care of me?

Apparently!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,466,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Well, my nephew became extremely attentive after my sister (his mother) and my mother (his grandmother) passed away.
After years of not agreeing with each other about almost everything.

I've specifically excluded him from my will and trust. If anything is left, it's going to my niece (his sister). I've told her that I realize she can do whatever she wishes after I'm gone, but if she gives one cent to him I'm coming back to haunt her.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,284,577 times
My father and his 3 siblings all inherited a fair amount of money from his gay uncle when he passed away, being his closest blood relatives. He lived in a different city, so none of them even helped him. And they sure were happy to get his money, but none of it trickled to me. They have issues with me because I'm gay, but I guess they don't see the irony.

My mom also just inherited a lot of money (well, about $100K) from my step-grandmother when she recently died, but my mom refuses to set up any will or trust. I think she purposely just doesn't want me to inherit a dime from her, plus she has psychological problems. I doubt I'll ever inherit a penny from any relative in my lifetime, my mother being the roadblock. Or if I do, it'll be after a huge probate court mess. If my mother could have all her money and crap buried with her, I think she would

Old 08-12-2014, 03:26 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,323,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My thoughts exactly View Post
Anyone get an inheritance from someone outside of their immediate family?
No, but I'm not opposed to the idea. Let me know what information you need to add me to your will and I'll get it to you.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 PM

706 posts, read 1,311,358 times
I got an idea...you know what would put you in the lead? Sleep with your Aunt and give her foot massages...you will be rich in no time! Then you can be living on top of the world...

Wait...yep, there is your answer.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 AM

6,411 posts, read 6,309,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My father and his 3 siblings all inherited a fair amount of money from his gay uncle when he passed away, being his closest blood relatives. He lived in a different city, so none of them even helped him. And they sure were happy to get his money, but none of it trickled to me. They have issues with me because I'm gay, but I guess they don't see the irony.

My mom also just inherited a lot of money (well, about $100K) from my step-grandmother when she recently died, but my mom refuses to set up any will or trust. I think she purposely just doesn't want me to inherit a dime from her, plus she has psychological problems. I doubt I'll ever inherit a penny from any relative in my lifetime, my mother being the roadblock. Or if I do, it'll be after a huge probate court mess. If my mother could have all her money and crap buried with her, I think she would
Are you my long lost brother??

My mother and her siblings made a verbal contract with me to take care of her parents and they would not only pay me but agree to put my name in the place of a dead uncle.

But....... Not only did they reneg on all of that after using me for 24/7 caretaking, they actually said, "get out of MY house" where I had been living to do the caretaking.

Since I'm probation the estate for at the very least the cost of caretaking, i don't believe I'll be in anyone's will after that. But I'd rather get 20k now because I was promised it rather than a potential 200k in 30 yrs just because we unfortunately share the same blood.

Yucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance