Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times

Advertisements

So, as I had guessed a few months ago, the market is going down and i think will continue to go down for the next few months....(of course i could be wrong).

Are you as excited as i am to see the RED?

I'm getting cash reserves ready for a gradual 'shopping spree' over the next few months, and wanted to know what your 'guess' is as far as the bottom for DOW and S&P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
buying opportunity!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
So, as I had guessed a few months ago, the market is going down and i think will continue to go down for the next few months....(of course i could be wrong).

I'm getting cash reserves ready for a gradual 'shopping spree' over the next few months, and wanted to know what your 'guess' is as far as the bottom for DOW and S&P.

If guess your joy is partially due to the fact you have been plowing a lot of money into your mortgage over the last few years instead of the market. It is often overlooked though as a buying opportunity but the truth is a down day cost me more than the buying opportunity is worth. Saying it another way if you have 100k in the market and it's down 5% so you throw another 10k in was the 5000.00 loss worry the buying opportunity? I dca every payday more into the market and have some dry powder but this hits are still more impactful

Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 AM

846 posts, read 1,881,144 times
IMO...You can't look at the market day to day...if you do you will be sad by what you see. Don't try to time the market...if you do you'll never get ahead.

DCA is your friend...stick with it...increase your contribution with your salary bumps.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,243 times
I have been investing in stock market since 2010. The stock market is long term investment.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,426 times
Invest for the long term. If the market goes down, who cares.....still have to go to work tommorow. Get the simple things right FIRST, invest alot and invest early and invest every payday. Why make it more difficult then it needs to be.

When it drops, what will you do? Buy some more stocks, then wait another 5-6 years to see the return. Just keep on investing.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
No.

It's a 5% off the peak. Not really anything to get excited about, completely normal.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,144 times
glad i didn't pull all my money and put it into bonds!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

ps...don't time the market.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

Not that much of a downturn at this point. I usually don't buy extra shares until Morningstar's stock market valuation index falls to .9 or lower (10% undervalued or more). Right now it's at 1.0, which means stocks are right at fair value.

Market Fair Value by Sector, Industry, Super-Sector, Index | Morningstar

Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If guess your joy is partially due to the fact you have been plowing a lot of money into your mortgage over the last few years instead of the market. It is often overlooked though as a buying opportunity but the truth is a down day cost me more than the buying opportunity is worth. Saying it another way if you have 100k in the market and it's down 5% so you throw another 10k in was the 5000.00 loss worry the buying opportunity? I dca every payday more into the market and have some dry powder but this hits are still more impactful
Yes, this is exactly my situation. I don't have that much dry powder, so the few hundred bucks I can spare is not going to make that much of a difference. For that reason, it's really not worth it to me to add extra money until stocks are 10% undervalued or more. As mentioned in my previous post, they're right at fair value. Some sectors are a little below fair value, but none are 10% undervalued or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance