Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:59 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,649,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I see alot of socially smsrt people who are outgoing and witty but they are poor and miserable.
And I see a lot who are rich and happy.

Seriously, some people succeed, some don't. There are many reasons for this. If a group of people are "socially smart, outgoing and witty", I would expect them to be slightly more "successful" on average than people who are not, but there will be people within both groups who are well off and who aren't and the correlation is likely not terribly strong.

In other words, observing a few people with a certain skill set who are "poor and miserable" and extrapolating a grand conclusion from that is a really bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 05:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,618,692 times
There's a saying I see around the internet or on bumper stickers that fits here:

Be kind to everyone you meet: they are fighting invisible battles that you know nothing about.

A lot of people excel at hiding their pain and fears; however, the fact that they have such deep pain and awful fears in the first place can keep them from being more successful than they are. That and "luck" that another poster mentioned before.

Witty people are fun. But I find myself asking whether they are witty because they are covering up some hurt or whether they want to be the center of attention by entertaining the people around them. Or some combination of that.

Being intelligent is helpful! But without attainable goals and the motivation to reach them and then to set new ones, intelligence can be wasted.

This is why sometimes the witty, beautiful people who should be successful aren't (or can't hold onto it) while others with lesser amounts of wit, beauty, intelligence sometimes rise to the top.

And I've lived long enough to know that sometimes luck does visit those who work hard and are ready for the opportunities that luck can bring.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It helps a lot if one either just manages money well or at least knows not to spend it on everything.

Ie, in my case: "Why is someone with so many degrees working a job that pays only a high school diploma wage?"

Because it works for me. I essentially live the life of a working playgirl. As a friend put it, you have a job that pays your bills but doesn't tire you out so you can go off and do the things you want.

Maybe that's the key....what works for you.....not what society expects you to be.
Yes, I agree with this. I don't have multiple degrees (stopped at Bachelor's) but I have a similar type job. It's at the mid/upper end of what many high school grads earn with great benefits because it's a government job. But I do have to live modestly in a high cost area to make it work. I like my job and it is not overly demanding. While I would like to make more (who wouldn't?) I earn enough and save a good amount, so I guess I don't want it that bad.

I really don't think the key to doing well financially is looks or being witty. It's about having specific goals and having the inner drive to achieve them.

What produces drive? A mix of seemingly conflicting qualities, according to Amy Chua in her latest book "The Triple Package".

1. You have to think you're superior.
2. You have to feel inferior.
3. You have to want to prove yourself.

If you think of yourself as superior because you have more self discipline than most other people and you get a kick out of that, it will help to propel you to career and financial success.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Lack of knowledge in managing finances, lack of ambition, education or ability to get a job that pays better than minimum wage.
Lack of planning for the future.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:03 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,245,999 times
I agree with the LUCK post. Obviously there are many factors that play into it but LUCK is not something you control, plan, strive for, or are able to achieve on your own. Right place/right time has led to people being successful that never really did a darned thing to earn it other than just being there when IT happened (IT could be anything). I don't begrudge people that, I think it's just the game of life where some will win, some will lose and some will draw.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:16 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,327,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I see alot of socially smsrt people who are outgoing and witty but they are poor and miserable. You would think they would succeed in life. I also see alot of very attractive people who work in low paying entry jobs. They are extremely socially smart and attractive and yet somehow they do not have happy lifes and are of low income.

Do they have a vice? Do they have a flaw? Did they get married and had kid at a very young age.

I think my social skills are average. I am attractive. I and otherss feel like i should be more "outgoing" because my physical characteristics look like i should be a player. My body, the way i move, my masculine voice gives the impression that i am a jerk but i am actually a good guy that likes to be in good terms with everyone. Idk its weird. I see people that ARE very social but life miserable.

Do you need to be socially intelligent to live a full filling life?

Sorry for my grammar i used a crappy phone to send my message

Human beings consist of many independent variables.

There is necessarily no connection between or among poverty, wealth, happiness, misery, wittiness, intelligence, social skills, etc. Just for example, I know, or know of, wealthy people who are miserable (one just committed suicide), and poor people who are happy-go-lucky.

Anyway, put these attributes, and any others you can think of, together in any combination you like, even at random, use a multiplier like ! (look it up) to find the number of possible combinations, and you will find any number of human beings who fit each one of those combinations, and then some.

Last edited by bale002; 08-16-2014 at 06:35 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 07:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,381,331 times
I think that for SOME people the dogged pursuit of wealth is the end goal while for others earning some money is simply the means to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table and the end goal is some other things in life that they enjoy. Of course if your income is such that you are really struggling for just the basics then it can be rather miserable.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:53 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,798 times
Humor is sometimes used as a coverup for problems (i.e. Robin Williams).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance