Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is no such thing as average life expecatncy in the real world. you are either dead or you aren't. there are only two real world possibilities in your life.
Yes, there is an average. Each individual may deviate from it, but there's still an average, as with height, weight, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
in theory but in practice as i said there are really only two outcomes you can have personally. things worked out or they didn't.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
in theory but in practice as i said there are really only two outcomes you can have personally. things worked out or they didn't.
Yes but the actuarial life table tells you how likely it is in the future you'll make it. Yes either you will or you won't , but you don't know which is the case and the odds tell you what to expect.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
not really, when you really think about it they really don't. it is like life insurance companies can tell us how many people are going to die in any given year. but since they can't tell us who the statistic becomes rather useless.

i plan for age 95 regardless ,,not some average age a table shows as who knows if you are the average one.. so in reality average does nothing for you nor helps you plan. you still need to plan for worst case scenerio and plan around making it to some ripe old age regardless..

Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Let's not play these semantics - we all know it meant "can benefit from itemizing".
I'm not "playing" anything, and I will make any statement I care to make, thank you very much.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
not really, when you really think about it they really don't. it is like life insurance companies can tell us how many people are going to die in any given year. but since they can't tell us who the statistic becomes rather useless.

i plan for age 95 regardless ,not some average as who knows if you are average. so in reality average does nothing for you
We can start a philosophy of probability thread in the philosophy forum if you'd like...

Old 08-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I'm not "playing" anything, and I will make any statement I care to make, thank you very much.
Good grief you're offended easily! I didn't mean it that way.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:44 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
Quote:

i plan for age 95 regardless ,,not some average age a table shows as who knows if you are the average one.. so in reality average does nothing for you nor helps you plan. you still need to plan for worst case scenerio and plan around making it to some ripe old age.
I plan for 95 also, but also plan for my wife and to leave something behind for my heirs.

I hope to continue to manage wisely in the future and set things up so my wife doesn't have to worry. She doesn't have a clue about finances except when I want to buy something as was previously mentioned. HaHaHa...Life is good.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I plan for 95 also, but also plan for my wife and to leave something behind for my heirs.

I hope to continue to manage wisely in the future and set things up so my wife doesn't have to worry. She doesn't have a clue about finances except when I want to buy something as was previously mentioned. HaHaHa...Life is good.

You should take the time to teach your wife about the finances and talk about it often. You dying next month could be disasterous for her and I see it all the time most often with wives but sometimes husbands

Old 08-19-2014, 06:08 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
I'm wondering about the flip side. How much is too much savings? I think I may be over saving for retirement while sacrificing enjoyment of at least some of this money now. And these savings do not include expected defined benefit pension and social security income during retirement (I have at least 15 years to go before I retire). Is it time to spend a couple thousand on a financial planner to help me sort it all out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance