Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times

Advertisements

1/3 of Americans don't save for retirement because they don't think it's important or they live paycheck to paycheck. Those who do save aren't saving that much.

Are you saving for retirement and if you are, what percent of your income do you save?

Are you one of the third of US adults who would like to save but can't, or someone who doesn't think it's important right now?

Why one-third of Americans aren't saving for retirement - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
I think people visiting personal finance forums tend to be people who do think saving for retirement is important.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
dog bites man,,, ho hum...

1/2 the country does not even earn enough after standard deductions and exemptions to pay tax so why should this be news.

it is the same old news we always hear.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
1/3 of Americans don't save for retirement because they don't think it's important or they live paycheck to paycheck.
We live paycheck to paycheck, but we save a significant amount.
We consider retirement savings and investing as another bill to be paid.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
No but Im pretty sure the Terms of service mention not posting the same things over and over...

The article linked was created today so it's fair to say that it's current and that this article probably wasn't posted before. Perhaps the same topic but that happens all over the entire forum daily

Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We live paycheck to paycheck, but we save a significant amount.
We consider retirement savings and investing as another bill to be paid.

We do the same and that's why we are ahead of the game. It's a bill just as important as the mortgage in our eyes

Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
I started a job when I was young that had a mandatory 5% deducted for retirement. And that was on top of taxes and Social Security. I hated that--I was low level clerical and couldn't afford to pay rent in a decent area, and more than once I had to take a additional part-time job to pay for car repair or something, but still the money was deducted. It's not like I was going to get old and need it, right?

I got old. And an amazing amount of people have told me to my face that "it isn't fair" that I have a retirement pension and they don't.

There will always be a huge percentage of people who no matter their salary will always claim they can't afford to pay into a retirement account.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I started a job when I was young that had a mandatory 5% deducted for retirement. And that was on top of taxes and Social Security. I hated that--I was low level clerical and couldn't afford to pay rent in a decent area, and more than once I had to take a additional part-time job to pay for car repair or something, but still the money was deducted. It's not like I was going to get old and need it, right?

I got old. And an amazing amount of people have told me to my face that "it isn't fair" that I have a retirement pension and they don't.

There will always be a huge percentage of people who no matter their salary will always claim they can't afford to pay into a retirement account.
Thanks for sharing - a lot of my peers probably need ice water splashed on their face to wake up to the reality that Gen Y simply cannot expect to get the fat pension and SS checks of the previous generation.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Yes, those of us who had mandatory withholdings from salary had no choice in the matter, so we can't claim special virtue. For 34 years I had 8% of my salary withheld as my contribution toward my pension. But in addition I always lived below my means - it just seemed like the sensible thing to do. Result: now at age 70 I have a pension plus some pretty nice savings, all from a career job with a minimal salary.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
If people don't plan for the future, then who do they expect to take care of them when they retire?

The large number of baby boomers will have darn near depleted social security. There is a decline in the working population. Many unemployed have given up trying to find work and gone on disability, which also drains social security. Since there are fewer and fewer people paying into the mandated entitlement programs, then what will happen when it's time to retire if adequate money hasn't been saved? Where is the money going to come from? What ever happened to self-respect and responsibility?

This could turn into a national crisis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance