Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
pssst... It's ALWAYS a spending problem

An earlier comment - #6 - says "It looks like he can't reduce his expenses any further..." If he has a spending problem, what is he supposed to do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I agree with you 100%. Except if they get married, the courts will definitely come after her income too.

But has anyone suggested that this guy get a PT job? On top of his FT job, I mean? (I haven't read all the posts -- my bad.) I realize the job market isn't flush, but has this man even tried to get a PT job. Even if he has to go to work for Walmart or a one-stop-shop store at a gas station. Walmart will take him for sure, I have no doubts. Especially if he's willing to work nights/weekends.

I think a weekday night job would detract from his daytime job performance (e.g. increased fatigue), so that's probably not a desirable option. A weekend job would detract from the time (every other weekend apparently) he has with his children. If I were in that position I would get a weekend job and tell the kids they'll understand when they're older.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100%. Except if they get married, the courts will definitely come after her income too.

But has anyone suggested that this guy get a PT job? On top of his FT job, I mean? (I haven't read all the posts -- my bad.) I realize the job market isn't flush, but has this man even tried to get a PT job. Even if he has to go to work for Walmart or a one-stop-shop store at a gas station. Walmart will take him for sure, I have no doubts. Especially if he's willing to work nights/weekends.

There is no law that states the courts can go after the income of the spouse of someone who is paying child support.
She is not the birth Mother and she is not legally responsible for his child support debt, even after they are married.
They are his children not hers.
If there was a law that new spouses became responsible for the child support for step children after marriage, there would be no marriage for anyone who has to pay child support.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 PM

374 posts, read 492,352 times
Maybe I am odd woman out....lol but I give the man credit for keeping the good job, working, paying support. I think he might have been a rescuer type paying down loans of the 2 wives. They seem like real winners as well, he had a better job, got reduced and they don't help by reducing a little, and letting him live in basement by paying support, probably alimony and .....tada working off rent. Good Lord couldn't the one had just waived rent as she was sucking him dry already. Good lord. Would they like his blood as well. I support women and children, but have seen first hand the no job, no support, etc... lies, the lovely second and walked away with nothing to do it all.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is no law that states the courts can go after the income of the spouse of someone who is paying child support.
She is not the birth Mother and she is not legally responsible for his child support debt, even after they are married.
They are his children not hers.
If there was a law that new spouses became responsible for the child support for step children after marriage, there would be no marriage for anyone who has to pay child support.
I worked for CA courts for almost 30 years. In CA, when you marry, if your ex takes you to court for an increase in CS, the court takes your new spouse's income into consideration. THAT I know. Maybe it's different in different states?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Maybe I am odd woman out....lol but I give the man credit for keeping the good job, working, paying support. I think he might have been a rescuer type paying down loans of the 2 wives. They seem like real winners as well, he had a better job, got reduced and they don't help by reducing a little, and letting him live in basement by paying support, probably alimony and .....tada working off rent. Good Lord couldn't the one had just waived rent as she was sucking him dry already. Good lord. Would they like his blood as well. I support women and children, but have seen first hand the no job, no support, etc... lies, the lovely second and walked away with nothing to do it all.
There are always two sides to every story. I'd like to hear from his ex-wives.

And, frankly, his first ex probably took a good chunk of his income. Why did he get married AGAIN? And, if I understand correctly, he had even more children with Wife No. 2? Something is just not right here.

AND -- for alimony, a couple have to be married for 10 years for the wife to get alimony. So this guy was married over 10 years each time (or just one time)??

He may be a very nice guy -- he's just not very bright.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I worked for CA courts for almost 30 years. In CA, when you marry, if your ex takes you to court for an increase in CS, the court takes your new spouse's income into consideration. THAT I know. Maybe it's different in different states?

If your ex has remarried, do they also take the ex's spouse's income into consideration?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
An earlier comment - #6 - says "It looks like he can't reduce his expenses any further..."
If he has a spending problem, what is he supposed to do about it?
Reduce his expenses. No one says it's easy or fun.

In the short term it's the ONLY choice.
In the long(er) term it's still probably the only choice.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If your ex has remarried, do they also take the ex's spouse's income into consideration?
Nope -- when the ex remarries, her spouse marries HER -- he doesn't take on financial support for his stepchildren. (Of course, he does -- but it's strictly voluntary. It's not voluntary for the bio father.)

Old 08-22-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Nope -- when the ex remarries, her spouse marries HER -- he doesn't take on financial support for his stepchildren. (Of course, he does -- but it's strictly voluntary. It's not voluntary for the bio father.)

So there is a huge disincentive for both partners to (re)marry, and presumably cohabitation is much more likely than (re)marriage. Surely conservative judges would disapprove and would consider this an outcome a disservice to the children.

Do conservative and liberal judges tend to address this outcome differently?

The reason I asked about "ex remarries" is that when ex remarries, the resources available to the ex typically increase. Since a child support award arguably is a function of the financial resources available to each parent, counting the income of a noncustodial parent's new spouse while not counting the income of a custodial parent's new spouse seems uneven, asymmetrical, and unequal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance