Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:41 AM

60 posts, read 187,236 times

Advertisements

I wanted to join Mint but don't like the idea of giving it all my passwords. I want something to simplify things for me. Right now I'm doing it manually but it's taking up a lot of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 05:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla123 View Post
I want something to simplify things for me.
Right now I'm doing it manually but it's taking up a lot of time.
How deeply detailed do you get now?

Most people will have a basic set of expenses each month
that w/don't change very much in variety or in amount... are you really different?

That leaves the petty small purchase spending that most should just mostly curtail.
(ie: whether you spent $30 or $50 at Starbucks isn't the issue... spending ANY is)

Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I have been using Quicken since the days of DOS and really like it.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Since most of your expenses are fixed. (More or less).

You need to look at the small stuff you spend.

I also like quicken, and use there Smart phone app, to record cash. I try to track every dollar , (and penny), All my credit cards, Bank accounts, Etc are all downloaded. Give me a good view, and can look back at the history, going back to ~1990's in detail.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Another vote for Quicken. I looked at Mint and had the same fear.

I've used Quicken and several other programs (no longer made). Quicken is better than it was 6 - 7 years ago. It can now be easily migrated into tax programs, among other improvements.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 AM

16 posts, read 12,509 times
Quicken is perhaps the most popular personal-finance software available today. It’s fairly comprehensive and well-supported, but not without problems. Old versions are “sunset-ed” at regular intervals, forcing users to upgrade if they want to continue using certain features.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
I used Quicken for nearly a decade and it was a great tool for keeping track of everything: checking, savings, credit cards, investment accounts, retirement, loans. You still need to give Quicken all your passwords, but they are stored locally on your computer. In the past couple years, I've become more frustrated with Quicken as it will occassionally refuse to download transactions from some banks that have changed their security policies and is incompatible with some institutions entirely (like my sons 529 plan). I've occassional had it miss some transactions causing inaccurate balances that I have to correct manually. The honest truth is I only kept using Quicken (over Mint) because it kept track of my cost-basis data in investment accounts (which brokerage companies now track for you).

I switched to Mint earlier this year and haven't looked back. I change passwords a couple times a year, so I don't worry about Mint having the passwords to my accounts. Some of my banks actually use a "security code" which only allows downloading of transactions, so I don't have to supply Mint with my actual password. I believe Mint's UI is better than Quicken and its trends and budget features are easier to use. Which is probably why Intuit bought Mint!

One caveat with Mint is that they are collecting a lot of personal data about your financial status and spending history to tailor advertisements and offers. This is how they can keep such a great resource free. If this bothers you, stay far away from Mint.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:52 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
A lot of people dont realize how many tools come along with their online banking. A lot of banks have analytics and charts tied to your account. I personally download my activity into Excel and just do my budgeting in there. There really shouldnt be much that a software package can tell you about your spending that is a shock to you, if youre paying attention.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:01 PM

420 posts, read 704,494 times
I agree with the above post in regards to banks online budgeting. I bank with USAA and PNC and I think both of those banks have amazing tools for budgeting, but it is limited to if you use THEIR products (their credit card, their debit card, etc). Overall, I use and love You Need a Budget, but I know people who swear by Quicken or just a good old Excel sheet. I had to poke around before I found something that worked for me. I used Quicken, Microsoft Money, Moneydance, before settling on YNAB.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quicken.
Have used it since 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance