Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:12 PM

26,197 posts, read 21,655,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'd much rather enter a trite 4-digit PIN than sign receipts.

At best they are the same amount of work, at worst you are just complaining to complain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,986,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
At best they are the same amount of work, at worst you are just complaining to complain
Yeah but starting in 2015, all U.S. credit cards will require a PIN anyway:

Chip-And-PIN Credit Card Changeover In 2015 - Business Insider

Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 PM

26,197 posts, read 21,655,916 times
Quote:
Yeah but starting in 2015, all U.S. credit cards will require a PIN anyway:

Chip-And-PIN Credit Card Changeover In 2015 - Business Insider
And then you won't have to sign for the credit card so all your little problems are solved

Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,281,338 times
Quote:
I disagree. The convenience of directly debiting your checking account simply cannot be matched by a credit card. Fraud issues are overrated.
I've had my debit card hacked by a machine that looked like an POS system. I lost $1000 and BoA would not do anything even after I showed them I was somewhere else and that there had been a string of debit hackings.

Yes, debit card fraud is rare.
Yes, you are at the whim of your bank if fraud occurs. Remember, the bank already has your money anyway, so it's not like a CC.

If you just don't want to use a CC, fine, nobody can convince you otherwise. But, CC are superior to debit cards in every way. At the very least you do need to use credit regularly, but again, nobody can convince you otherwise if your mind is already made up.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I've had my debit card hacked by a machine that looked like an POS system. I lost $1000 and BoA would not do anything even after I showed them I was somewhere else and that there had been a string of debit hackings.

Yes, debit card fraud is rare.
Yes, you are at the whim of your bank if fraud occurs. Remember, the bank already has your money anyway, so it's not like a CC.

If you just don't want to use a CC, fine, nobody can convince you otherwise. But, CC are superior to debit cards in every way. At the very least you do need to use credit regularly, but again, nobody can convince you otherwise if your mind is already made up.
Then how come financial experts such as Suze Orman advocate cutting up all of your credit cards and switching exclusively to debit cards?

Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,655,693 times
Quote:
Then how come financial experts such as Suze Orman advocate cutting up all of your credit cards and switching exclusively to debit cards?
Suze Orman is not a financial expert. She is a charismatic guru who sells a lot of books and has a TV show.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:45 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,304,718 times
Quote:
I think that is Dave Ramsey and that applies to people that are in trouble financially and need a way out.

Its a way to get them to spend "real" money and see where it is going. They have no concept of money.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:50 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,281,338 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Suze Orman is not a financial expert. She is a charismatic guru who sells a lot of books and has a TV show.
^ This. Orman gives really bad advice much of the time, but the advice isn't going to get you into financial trouble - just cost you. Besides, you are a CPA, you can crunch the numbers yourself. Does giving up 1-5% cash back cost you money or not? The only way you benefit from giving up 5% is if your impulse control is weak and having $20K in available credit would cause you to overspend or carry a balance.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 PM

23,873 posts, read 12,715,685 times
Many excellent comments by most posters , and, a couple of not so great comments by a poster or two.

I think the following two good posts pretty much sums it up....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We get it! You do not want to use credit.
So then don't complain when you credit score is lower than it could be, and when you get a less than great mortgage rate because you have not shown you can use CREDIT.

LOL!
I have seen first hand the messes people got into when their debit cards are compromised. Made me all the more convinced to NEVER get or use one.
I'm beginning to wonder IF the OP is actually thinking of getting a mortgage in the next 5 years or so, or, if the OP is just using a fictitious mortgage excuse as a back-handed way of creating yet another 'debit cards good, credit cards bad' debate. After all, someone who is actually thinking about getting a mortgage, who wants the best chance of not only getting a mortgage but also in getting the best possible rates, who posts in here to discover the best solutions to obtain his goal, would not be so quick to be dismissive of the helpful posts for the sole reason of defending his stance on why debit cards are better than credit cards.

Plus, the OP has obviously never bothered to do any research about the pitfalls of debit vs. credit, or the protection laws for either, if he can blithely say that "Fraud issues are overrated." when it comes to debit cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
you must be trolling

There are already many credit card vs. debit card debates in this forum, why start a new debate thread?

Last edited by berdee; 09-09-2014 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: one word addition

Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
^ This. Orman gives really bad advice much of the time, but the advice isn't going to get you into financial trouble - just cost you. Besides, you are a CPA, you can crunch the numbers yourself. Does giving up 1-5% cash back cost you money or not? The only way you benefit from giving up 5% is if your impulse control is weak and having $20K in available credit would cause you to overspend or carry a balance.
I am NOT a CPA. I'm a corporate tax accountant. There's a difference. I don't hold a CPA license, nor did I ever take the exam or anything. My god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance