Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 01:36 PM

714 posts, read 356,355 times

Advertisements

My son is getting married later this year. He owns a substantial brokerage account which is solely in his name. Therefore it will be considered a "separate asset", as opposed to a "marital asset" as long as he does not commingle the account with a marital asset. And he certainly will not do that. In fact as has no intention of making any deposit or withdrawal from the account.

My question is: Will filing their income tax as married filing jointly affect the separate status of this brokerage account? Of course the income from the account would be part of the income reported. I will be paying the income tax.The state is NY, in case that's important.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 01:41 PM

768 posts, read 859,124 times
Marriage is doomed.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:46 PM

714 posts, read 356,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Marriage is doomed.
What the heck does that mean???
I highly approve of the person he's marrying. So I think a divorce is highly unlikely. But they're young and you never can tell what will happen. So I'm just being careful.

Thanks for you very informative and useful response.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Marriage is doomed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
What the heck does that mean???
I highly approve of the person he's marrying. So I think a divorce is highly unlikely. But they're young and you never can tell what will happen. So I'm just being careful.

Thanks for you very informative and useful response.
What it means is mama is far too involved in the couple's life, financial life in particular. Are you going to tell him how much he can spend on <insert item here> here his whole life? It is apparently HIS money, so he can spend it, or not, as he sees fit, right? Or does he have to get your approval first?

Old 09-28-2014, 02:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
As answered in your other thread ("The income from this account for 2014 will be over $100K. His future wife's income will be practically nill") ... get a lawyer. Get a pre-nup.

New York divorce law: marital or separate property?

That said, any answers you get on a web message board is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Invest in a few hours of consult time with a few lawyers.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:43 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,300,839 times
Quote:
Invest in a few hours of consult time with a few lawyers.
This is the best advice you'll get. A substantial brokerage account that produces $100K in annual income is worth spending a few hundred or so in legal fees to protect, right? Do it.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Suggest to your son that he see an attorney and then get out of the way.

Texas is a community property state and if you keep your "assets" that you had prior to entering marriage separate they will stay that way after divorce. If you start mixing community property assets with separate that's a problem. You tax filing status isn't relevant

Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
My son is getting married later this year. He owns a substantial brokerage account which is solely in his name. Therefore it will be considered a "separate asset", as opposed to a "marital asset" as long as he does not commingle the account with a marital asset. And he certainly will not do that. In fact as has no intention of making any deposit or withdrawal from the account.

My question is: Will filing their income tax as married filing jointly affect the separate status of this brokerage account? Of course the income from the account would be part of the income reported. I will be paying the income tax.The state is NY, in case that's important.
thanks
Filing jointly has no impact on asset ownership status.

You are correct, the lack of commingling any monies in the account will keep it as a separate asset.
However, any income generated in the account during the time of the marriage and until one of the parties files for divorce, will most likely be considered a marital asset in the event of a termination of the marriage.

The above should not be construed as legal advice

I agree with other posters, you/your son should consider talking to an attorney - one who specializes in these matters.
Depending on where in NY you are located, I might be able to make recommendations for appropriate professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance