Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 PM

622 posts, read 3,114,192 times

Advertisements

I checked my report today and found out I had a collection that is not paid from a medical bill about 2 years ago. $20. I remember paying it over the phone with my credit card, but the statement says "D- unpaid".

I tried going bck through my CC history to see if I can prove I paid it, but now I 'm not usre which of my CC's I used, and the CC may have even been cancelled/closed at this point.

Should I call the collection agency directly or try and find the CC first, or maybe even my Insurance company, because they had to actually pay the medical bill and reimbursed me the $20 after I paid the collection agency with my CC.

Yep, $20.

Here's what it says

"Date of first delinquency: 12/2005"
"Balance date: 10/2006"
"Status: D-unpaid"

I remember talking to the collections person like it was yesterday. I paid him myself just so this wouldn't negatively affect my record. Now it seems he hasn't acknowledged the payment, and honestly, I don't remember if I got a receipt mailed to me for it.

I'm not in dire need of "fixing" my credit score, which is low because of this, but I sure would like to fix it for any future needs.

What's the next step from here? Since my insurance company was responsible, can't they have a say in this, or am I dreaming? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,963,065 times
Dispute it - the credit reporting agencies will then go and do the research. In the meantime, do whatever research you can as well. Don't forget that if it's on one credit report, it's on all probably, so you'll want to do something about that as well.
Even if a credit card account has been closed, they can still get you info. Just start making a lot of calls!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times
If you really want it gone, PAY it again (yeah I know but it is only $20, not worth your nerves and time) and then dispute it after you pay it. Almost always the collection agency only wants to get paid and they will not challenge a paid account once you dispute it.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:25 PM

Hmmm, I never thought about paying it. Wouldn't it still be there on my report? It would just show "paid" now, but it would still be there, right? That is a good idea though. I'm sure my insurer wouldn't mind paying it/reimbursing me anyway. But they already did that once. lol Who knows, this could have been a duplicate bill.

How do I "dispute it"? I got the report from Equifax. Should I contact them?

First things first. I need to contacrt my insurer and get to the bottom of this, then possibly the collection agency and get some real answers. Then go from there. Right?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Hmmm, I never thought about paying it. Wouldn't it still be there on my report? It would just show "paid" now, but it would still be there, right? That is a good idea though. I'm sure my insurer wouldn't mind paying it/reimbursing me anyway. But they already did that once. lol Who knows, this could have been a duplicate bill.

How do I "dispute it"? I got the report from Equifax. Should I contact them?

First things first. I need to contacrt my insurer and get to the bottom of this, then possibly the collection agency and get some real answers. Then go from there. Right?

Thanks for the replies.
It will still be on the report but here is the scoop- when it comes to collection agnencies, if you pay them and then dispute it, 90% of the time the collection agent will not reaffirm the debt was ever owed to the credit reporting agency and then they will remove it from your report.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,972,317 times
There is a downside to the "pay it" suggestion. Once you pay it, the date of last activity will move to the CURRENT date.

If its now showing 12/2005, and it moves to 12/2007... it will look to the bureaus like you got a new collection, not a 2 year old one. It will stay on the credit report seven years from LAST activity, so you not only dropped you score by turning a 2 year old collection into a 1 month old.... you added 2 years to the time it can appear.

Sure it will help showing paid in the future, but for now it will decrease not increase your score. If you pay and then dispute and the creditor does not remove it.... you lost $20 and some points.

Being in the mortgage industry I have seen it happen a few times. Its a big credit myth and is why we tell people NOT to pay any collections without speaking with us first. Doing the right thing can sometimes hurt worse than doing the wrong thing, isnt it a great system?

Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 AM

Rcarillo, thanks. I was going to call the collection agency today to pay them. I've spoken to all other parties and it seems I do owe the $20. Long story, I had 2 identical bills for $20 and only paid one thinking it was a duplicate...blah blah.

So I'm at the point of calling them to pay it. I will talk to them first and see if they will take it off my report after I pay them. I may take that chance. It is a bill I need to pay after all.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM

Update*
OK I just got off the phone with them. I'm sending them a cashier's check and they will notify the credit agencies that it was 'paid'. So now it will just show 'paid' instead of 'D-unpaid' in the status section. It will still be dated from original late '05' as the date in question. At least that's what they told me.

They also said I need not do anything else after I pay them. Just hold on to the receipt in case anyone asks for it. That doesn't sound too good, but I will definately be checking the reports after I get this done, just to see if it's "paid".

Not sure if that "paid" will increase my score or not. It is still a negative on the report, I guess.

Thanks again to everyone.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,141,356 times
new jersey
it will take anywhere from 30 t0 45 days for it to report as paid on your credit report. It all depends on how often they send "tapes" in
It will show paid but a $20 medical is easily explained if you should need to apply for something.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,972,317 times
Do keep that receipt. There are many, many times when they "forget" to report it or the credit bureaus do not remove it. If it ever comes up again, just send in your receipt to the bureaus reporting it with a letter.

You might want to send it anyways, just in case. Its 1 small letter, photocopy 3 times and send off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance