Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I always laugh when people begin conflating law or contracts with morality or justice. I picture the first-year law prof upon the outraged young student's 'But there's no justice in that!': "Would someone please kindly help this poor lost young lady. She was evidently taking a course in justice, and by mistake, has wandered into a course in the law." 'There's no justice in that' is my second favorite derisive-snort-generator behind 'They can't do that!'

Morality and justice are things that happen between people who don't really need contracts in order to do what's right thing. For everyone else, there are contracts and law.

Contracts are about what you can get away with, and law is about enforcing said contracts.

It is no accident that the poor do not write contracts or that the people who write contracts are considerably more affluent than the people to whom they are extended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
No. A BK debtor can convert from a 13 to a 7 at any time (11 USC 1307, I believe) unless the debtor has received a chapter 7 discharge within the prior 8 years. This assumes that the debtor would qualify under the income testing required for filing a 7.
Thanks for clarifying, I had forgot about conversion. The point I was trying to make is that you can't have two cases pending at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance