Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times

Advertisements

So yesterday I paid off one of my student loans. I requested the payoff amount and just a few short clicks later done, but you'll have to wait 3-4 business days. It seems like all the payment innovations are for stuff I don't use. So why does it seem like three’s been little innovation in this area. I understand that stuff has to go through a clearinghouse but 3-4 days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
They have to make sure the payments clear the bank before they will give you a confirmation that things are indeed paid in full.
You should also receive a written letter telling you that your loans are paid in full.
There does not need to be innovation, it has to leave your bank electronically and get to their bank electronically, that takes a wee bit of time.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:23 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
I really want the gratification of seeing those big zeros.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:39 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,896 times
I pay bills through BofA on line payment. They are electronically hooked to to many major companies and the payment is done electronically and immediately, and shows up usually the next day as payment received.
Smaller companies who aren't able to receive electronic payments receive a check in the mail from BofA. The bank allows me 4 days before removing the money from my account, but the check usually arrives at the vendor in a day or two.
When I electronically transfer money into investment accounts, I receive instant credit for the money, it shows in transactions and they pay interest immediately, but it won't show up on the statement balance for roughly five days, or until they have the money in hand.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:06 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I really want the gratification of seeing those big zeros.
Congrats on paying off the student loan

What bugs me - - -
My checking account and major credit card are with the same bank.
I instruct them online to pay the credit card from my checking.
The money disappears immediately from my checking.
Yet my credit card balance doesn't read 'zero' for at least 24 hours.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:20 PM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
"Why do online payments still take so long to process "

Not all do.
In your case, you are paying off a loan, so they want to make sure they have their money before they send you the paperwork.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:35 PM

49 posts, read 52,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
So yesterday I paid off one of my student loans. I requested the payoff amount and just a few short clicks later done, but you'll have to wait 3-4 business days. It seems like all the payment innovations are for stuff I don't use. So why does it seem like three’s been little innovation in this area. I understand that stuff has to go through a clearinghouse but 3-4 days?
Way to go on getting out from under that student debt! I still remember the feeling of making the last payment on my wife's student loans. It took about a week for FedLoanServicing to show everything paid in full, but it was certainly exciting (I may have taken a screenshot and sent it to our family ).

Any special plans to celebrate?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
I use online bill pay through my bank and have one bill that I always paid on time, yet I always got a late charge for. It was a sporadic bill, not every month. Anyway, I was told that the bank actually sends a paper check to the company so it didn't actually get paid until days after my bank said it was paid.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Had issue with my Natural Gas Bill,

My Bank Guarantees that the payment will arrive by the date I select, and will cover any late charge, fees, interest etc.

Every Month My Natural Gas Bill was "late" I had set the payment date the day before it was due.
The NG Marketer could not accept a EFT, A paper check was sent. After the 3rd Late Fee, the Bank put tracking on the checks, They found it was in the NG POB the day before the due date.

What was happening is the POBox was a LockBox, a local Bank in Georgia processed there check payment. Any check that did not have the Bottom Stub of the statement with the account number coded at the bottom for the OCR to read. Was put in the a envelope and sent to there main office in Chicago to handle. The main office in Chicago, processed the checks as of the day the Envelope arrived in Chicago, not the date it arrived in the lock box.

My Bank opened a Formal Complaint with the state Public Utility Commission, and like magic the payments into the future were credited on the date it was in the LockBox.

The Gas Company refunded all the late fees back to my account.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:00 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I use online bill pay through my bank and have one bill that I always paid on time, yet I always got a late charge for. It was a sporadic bill, not every month. Anyway, I was told that the bank actually sends a paper check to the company so it didn't actually get paid until days after my bank said it was paid.
When I pay a bill online, if I make it before 10am it goes in the mail that day. If after 10 am, it is mailed out the next day. A mailed check, or a letter of any kind, should be able to reach any location in the USA in four days or less. You are waiting to long to make the payment..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance