Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

my cousins and I both paid down my credit to 100.00 and our credit score dropped and someone told me to never paid it totally off because then you run the risk of losing the line of credit and also no one can see that you paid it off . also remember to pay your household bills on time as well cause that counts towards good credit as well if you pay before or on time . You will not believe how good your credit score will be if you pay your household bills on time as well .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:54 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Warning to everyone...keep a balance of 30% of total available credit with credit cards.
Pay a little more than the minimum due every month.
Do NOT pay them off.

My cc balance is 0.
I only have 1 credit card,and i only have a car lease i am paying on. No student loan,no mortgage.
I really though paying off the bill would raise my score.
You would think right?

Nope. My score went from 745 to 702.

I received advice from a credit repair company to do this:
I notice that my score got higher when i kept a balance around 30% of total available credit and paid it down.
I did that for a few months. Score went up by 60.

Then i read that others recommend that you pay off your credit card balances,and that would raise your score.

It does not.

I also notice that my score could probably be over 800,but Equifax,Transunion,and Experian keep saying that i am not utilizing enough credit and that they are recommending i buy a home,buy a car,or get another credit card.

WTH is going on?
It almost seems they WANT people to be in debt. Geez
What? That is completely WRONG. Clearly you have misunderstood something. These are all things that will negatively impact your score.

1. payment history – carrying a balance on your credit card, or missing a payment
2. any collection or bankruptcy recorded against you
3. outstanding debts – the limit on your credit card (is your balance close to your limit?)
4. account history – how long have you had credit?
5. number of recent inquiries made about your credit report
6. type of credit you are using – a mix of credit cards and loans

No way am I carrying a balance Uh uh. I pay my CC in full, every month. And my score is near 800.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:34 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my cousins and I both paid down my credit to 100.00 and our credit score dropped and someone told me to never paid it totally off because then you run the risk of losing the line of credit and also no one can see that you paid it off . also remember to pay your household bills on time as well cause that counts towards good credit as well if you pay before or on time . You will not believe how good your credit score will be if you pay your household bills on time as well .
No one can see that you paid it off? Trust me, someone can see.

What sort of household bills? Are you talking about utilities?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:12 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Forums like this remind me how successful the credit bureau's are at keeping the general populations ignorant as to what they do. It also amazes me how many people who don't know jack about the subject will offer up their opinions as facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance