Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:04 AM

209 posts, read 313,424 times

Advertisements

Hello for those of you who are middle class and enjoy it:

1. What do you like best about the middle class lifestyle?

2. What do you like best about middle class culture and values?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:18 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
First I need for you to define the "middle class lifestyle". I will also need you to describe it's culture and value system.

Because....

Once upon a time my parents made $500k a year, dined out daily, took extended biannual international trips and attended charity galas with the who's who of the large metropolitan city. Dad took no issues trying to trade votes with a county judge.

Once upon a time my close high school friend lived in a single wide trailer home with her widowed mother. Lacked a car and had to sell raffle tickets to pay for her band trips. She was religious, but took drugs all the same.

Because we're currently sitting pretty in the upper 8-9% of Seattlites (6-7% nationally) and it's a continuous and concerted effort to make sure we're putting enough away for retirement and college educations. Our lifestyle allows for a 1800 sq ft condo in a nice area of the city, one 2 week vacation a year, paid off cars that are 15 and 4 years old (Ford and Toyota), a tutor for our autistic son, and a couple of pool passes and about $3-4k worth of house stuff (interior painting, furniture, etc..). We don't have enough to take weekend vacations or ski or do private school. I don't go to the salon. I severely limit my consumerism. Besides coffee shops we don't dine out.

Everyone above has described themselves as "middle class".

I keep note of our economic standing because it's the only reminder that we are really something more than "middle class". Except for my zip code there is NOTHING about my lifestyle that would suggest we are anything but.

I would say the only you're only upper middle class when you can afford the "middle class lifestyle" without going into debt (and thank God I'm in this category!).

"Upper middle class lifestyle" is only for the super elites.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:37 AM

658 posts, read 724,495 times
Check the Frugal Living section, Middle Class = Working Class = Moody Class.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:42 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
Check the Frugal Living section, Middle Class = Working Class = Moody Class.
moody?

Old 12-05-2014, 01:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
what makes someone middle class? i say that we are middle class but my wife doesnt like that.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Middle class in America has somehow engulfed working class. Its the politicians who used it that way so they could pretend fix things for darn near everyone when they promised to help "the middle class"

Old 12-05-2014, 02:48 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
I agree with what the others have said. "Middle class" is such a vague term it's become meaningless. The upper middle class and the rich call themselves middle class, and so do a fair number of poor people. No one wants to admit they're not middle class.

I don't really think the middle class lifestyle per se (a vague term in and of itself) is anything to write home about. For me, getting to a half decent income means I can meet my basic needs and save a significant portion of it. If I keep saving and investing at a high rate, I will eventually not need my job to provide me with an income. I know most middle class and even upper middle class people don't think this way....they go for the "better-lifestyle" which is really a kind of treadmill that doesn't add much to happiness in the long run.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:51 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Middle class in America has somehow engulfed working class. Its the politicians who used it that way so they could pretend fix things for darn near everyone when they promised to help "the middle class"
It's been twisted over the years to pander to the masses for votes.

Middle class should be your small business owners, lawyers, local doctors etc. Instead they've bunched all the working class folks (the employees for the above) into the middle.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:02 PM

580 posts, read 777,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It's been twisted over the years to pander to the masses for votes.

Middle class should be your small business owners, lawyers, local doctors etc. Instead they've bunched all the working class folks (the employees for the above) into the middle.
The vast majority of physicians, while they may think of themselves as middle class, are not.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
I am middle class, I work for a living. I make low 3 digits. My working hours are 9:30-5:30, I set my alarm to 9 A.M. Obamacare gives me no favors, and I get to keep 60% from what I earn (the rest is taxes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance