Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times

Advertisements

I understand that mortgage payments are tax deductible. Is 100% of the payment deductible or some other percentage, and does the deduction vary based on other factors (say, maybe, type of mortage, etc).

Just curious about this.

One reason I'm asking is that if a mortgage payment is deductible that savings could be used to pay homeowners insurance, property taxes, etc, thus reducing the annual carrying cost of a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 07:29 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
only that part of your total deductions that exceeds the standard deduction counts for anything extra.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
To be clear - that portion of mortgage payments that go toward paying down principal is not deductible.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I understand that mortgage payments are tax deductible. Is 100% of the payment deductible or some other percentage, and does the deduction vary based on other factors (say, maybe, type of mortage, etc).

Just curious about this.

One reason I'm asking is that if a mortgage payment is deductible that savings could be used to pay homeowners insurance, property taxes, etc, thus reducing the annual carrying cost of a house.
Interest and Property Taxes are deductible. Nothing else is(so HOA and Insurance aren't). As Mathjak mentioned, you only come out ahead if this puts you over the standard deduction. So for an individual, the standard deduction last year was $6,100. That means that if your combined taxes and interest were $7,000, then you get a higher deduction by itemizing. If it's less than that, you gain nothing.

Obviously, if you're already itemizing, the entire thing becomes a benefit, but I think it's pretty uncommon for people to be itemizing before buying a house(not impossible, just unlikely).

Because you're paying more in interest during the beginning part of the mortgage(you have a higher outstanding balance year 1 than year 29) the split does shift overtime. An amortization schedule can show you the exact interest/principal split if you really want to know.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Interest and Property Taxes are deductible. Nothing else is(so HOA and Insurance aren't). As Mathjak mentioned, you only come out ahead if this puts you over the standard deduction. So for an individual, the standard deduction last year was $6,100. That means that if your combined taxes and interest were $7,000, then you get a higher deduction by itemizing. If it's less than that, you gain nothing.

Obviously, if you're already itemizing, the entire thing becomes a benefit, but I think it's pretty uncommon for people to be itemizing before buying a house(not impossible, just unlikely).

Because you're paying more in interest during the beginning part of the mortgage(you have a higher outstanding balance year 1 than year 29) the split does shift overtime. An amortization schedule can show you the exact interest/principal split if you really want to know.
Property taxes are NOT always Deductible. If you are in AMT in a high tax state they certainly phase out and are only partially deductible at best.

Condo/HOA fees and Insurance MIGHT be deductable - If you rent out your unit full time or part of year you can deduct Condo/HOA fees and insurance vs rental income.

Mortgage Interest is NOT always deductable and its value as a deductible varies widely. If you are a low income earner, have a small mortgage, or a very low interest mortgage or not many other deductions you might not itemize as standard deduction is higher therefore no extra deduction for having a mortgage. Likewise a mortgage deduction in the 15-28% bracket not worth as much as someone in the 28-39.6% tax bracket.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
I've owned my house for 11 years now and have never itemized. So the interest deduction benefits me $0.

Every year, I go through the entire process to check, but every year, the standard deduction is better.

I live in a very low COL/low wage area, so I'm only in the 15% bracket, my mortgage only has about an $80k balance, I have no kids, and I have a normal 9-5 job with no deductions for work.

So if your situation is like mine, you would deduct 0% of your mortgage payment. But situations like mine are pretty rare.

If you were an interest only loan, and didn't escrow your taxes and insurance, and were already itemizing, you could potentially deduct 100% of your mortgage payment. But this would be equally rare.

Most people fall somewhere in the middle. Their mortgage payment consists of principal, interest, taxes and insurance. Of that, the interest and usually the taxes are deductible, the principal and insurance are typically not. Of the deductible share, only the part that is in excess of the standard deduction is any real benefit.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
The annual cost of the house would be reduced IF your itemized deductions add to more than the standard deduction. The difference between the two, times your marginal tax rate, is the amount by which your cost gets reduced.

If your standard deduction would be $12,000 and your itemized deductions would be $16,000 and you are in the 25% bracket, your tax liability is reduced by (25/100)(16000 - 12000) = $1000.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
We will be able to itemize this year but not next due to a refi of our mortgage. The interest savings is greater than the tax savings and what we will do is pay 2015 property taxes on 1/1/16 and pay 2016 property taxes 12/31/16 and then be able to itemize in 2016 again for that year. Alternating years between standard deductions and itemizing

Old 12-22-2014, 12:00 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
We will be able to itemize this year but not next due to a refi of our mortgage. The interest savings is greater than the tax savings and what we will do is pay 2015 property taxes on 1/1/16 and pay 2016 property taxes 12/31/16 and then be able to itemize in 2016 again for that year. Alternating years between standard deductions and itemizing
How will you make sure the transaction clears on Dec. 31?

Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How will you make sure the transaction clears on Dec. 31?

I should have said by 12-31, we've already paid them for this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance