Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 12:39 PM

459 posts, read 1,744,765 times

Advertisements

Curious on if anyone has run into this.

At the beginning of 2014 -- my company did not offer a 401K so I contributed to an IRA account for the tax deduction. In November, they announced a 401K program & my first contribution went through in December. I did not have any options to roll my IRA into the 401K (I am not much of an investor, yet..so I don't think this is possible anyway but please let me know if I'm wrong).

The tax deduction states that you don't have access to a retirement plan. My W2 that I received today shows an X by retirement plan.

Does this mean I cannot take any of the contributions towards my IRA before the 401K was in place? Has anyone run into this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:48 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,750 times
Actually, I just looked into this yesterday for myself. My takeaway from IRS pub 590.....if you are covered at any time during the year, you are considered to be covered for that year, which means your IRA deductibility is subject to those guidelines....whether none, all,or partial is deductible will be based on your income and filing status.

If you end up having non deductible contributions, you will need to file the appropriate IRS form to declare them so you don't pay tax on that money again. It was at one time best to just open up a non-deductible IRA account and keep that money separate. Things may be different now.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:26 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Re deductability, you should read this IRS webpage:
Publication 590 (2013), Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
in particular Table 1-2, to see how it would apply to your specific situation

Re rollover to employer 401K (a Qualified Pre-Tax plan) from a Traditional IRA, it is allowed by the IRS, but might not be by your employer's plan. You'll have to ask them.
See Publication 590 (2013), Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
Table 1-4

Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 PM

291 posts, read 336,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
Curious on if anyone has run into this.

At the beginning of 2014 -- my company did not offer a 401K so I contributed to an IRA account for the tax deduction. In November, they announced a 401K program & my first contribution went through in December. I did not have any options to roll my IRA into the 401K (I am not much of an investor, yet..so I don't think this is possible anyway but please let me know if I'm wrong).

The tax deduction states that you don't have access to a retirement plan. My W2 that I received today shows an X by retirement plan.

Does this mean I cannot take any of the contributions towards my IRA before the 401K was in place? Has anyone run into this before?
Answer to whether ira contribution can be taken as deduction depends on your filing status and adjusted gross income. Too little info here.

To answer first question, the 401k plan would have to allow rollovers into the plan. Ask your employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance