Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,486 times

Advertisements

I only make 30,000 a year. i work full time but i'm going to grad school part time too, so i need to have an easier job that works with my schedule. In north dakota you can buy nice house for 70,000 dollars. the cost of living here is low. i have family that think that i live in poverty and are concerned and i'm concerned too. i am single with no kids and i am 30. i live in a one bedroom apartment right now. it's all i need.

should i be ashamed of making only what i make? i feel that when i'm in my fourties i will want to have a better career and make more, but i am recovering from a nervous breakdown and i don't want to push myself right now.

i feel working full time and going to grad school part time and my other activities is plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,025,674 times
yes you should be ashamed,very ashamed. now go gloat

Old 01-11-2012, 08:18 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Is there anything you need that you can't afford? If not you are fine.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,595,629 times
Ashamed? No way! I think you're doing great. You're working and going to school...eventually, you'll get a pay raise. There are some that don't work or get an education. Keep up the good work and don't give up.

p.s. there are some that would do anything to make $30K a year.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Ashamed? No way! I think you're doing great. You're working and going to school...eventually, you'll get a pay raise. There are some that don't work or get an education. Keep up the good work and don't give up.

p.s. there are some that would do anything to make $30K a year.
thank you so much. i have lots of rich family who think i'm a hick or a loser because i'm not successful yet. i feel like life is to be lived and i'd rather take my time in life and do what i want to, even if it means being fourty or even fifty until i find my nich.

Thanks for the kind words!!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Is there anything you need that you can't afford? If not you are fine.
no, i have everything that i 'need' plus some extras. two computers, cell phone, 50 inch plasma tv, two year old car, go out on the weekends etc.

but too many this is nothing. rich family make me feel ashamed because i'm not successful.

Thanks for the kind words!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
but too many this is nothing. rich family make me feel ashamed because i'm not successful.
Ignore what they say. You don't need people like that dragging you down.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Ignore what they say. You don't need people like that dragging you down.
yeah. i don't get their mentality. they'd rather that i be an aweful person making good money than a good person who is not rich.

I want to be a librarian. i'm getting a masters degree in library sciences. librarians only make about 45 thousand a year, so i will never be rich, but i'd rather have a career that i'd like and not be rich. they think it's crazy

Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,907 times
Of course you have no reason to be ashamed. Why would you? There are plenty of families who get by on 30k a year and as a single guy, why would your expenses be higher?

The only reason would be because you are keeping up appearances. Do you NEED a $15,000 couch or do you feel just as comfortable on a $1,500 couch? Do you NEED to drive a Jaguar, or is a Corolla alright?

I have no idea why Americans these days feel so much pressure to be "rich" - are we all to live the lifestyles of the rich and famous?

I make more than enough money and have no problem purchasing some Italian sports car brand new. Heck, I can purchase quite a few and pay cash for them. You know what? I don't. I don't even drive a fancy car - I have no need for it because, in the end, all I am doing is going from A to B and all that I require is that I and my family do so safely (well, I am no longer young, so a bit of comfort is certainly welcome, too).

You see, I am a highly practical person who was taught very well how to handle money. Even in my 20's when my friends would spent $100 to go out, I'd leave with a $3 Coca-Cola expense. I simply didn't see the point of wasting money.

Frankly, I would have absolutely no problem living off $30,000 a year and I certainly would never ever feel ashamed because of it.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Of course you have no reason to be ashamed. Why would you? There are plenty of families who get by on 30k a year and as a single guy, why would your expenses be higher?

The only reason would be because you are keeping up appearances. Do you NEED a $15,000 couch or do you feel just as comfortable on a $1,500 couch? Do you NEED to drive a Jaguar, or is a Corolla alright?

I have no idea why Americans these days feel so much pressure to be "rich" - are we all to live the lifestyles of the rich and famous?

I make more than enough money and have no problem purchasing some Italian sports car brand new. Heck, I can purchase quite a few and pay cash for them. You know what? I don't. I don't even drive a fancy car - I have no need for it because, in the end, all I am doing is going from A to B and all that I require is that I and my family do so safely (well, I am no longer young, so a bit of comfort is certainly welcome, too).

You see, I am a highly practical person who was taught very well how to handle money. Even in my 20's when my friends would spent $100 to go out, I'd leave with a $3 Coca-Cola expense. I simply didn't see the point of wasting money.

Frankly, I would have absolutely no problem living off $30,000 a year and I certainly would never ever feel ashamed because of it.
thanks. i feel the same way.

I have a 300 dollar couch i bought on sale and i own a kia, my first and only brand new car. it was 13,000 brand new.

i feel that i make enough money for my needs so i don't understand why they look down on me. they are all used to living the HIGH LIFE and can't imagine not being able to go out to eat whenver they want too or not go on expensive trips four times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance