Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 01:16 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,454,172 times

Advertisements

I paid $139.15 in interest on my son's Stafford loan last year. Now I see that the 1098 is reported under his SSN. He has under $3,000.00 in income so that's a wasted tax deduction!

Does anyone know if I can apply for next year's loan under my own SSN? My wife and I plan on paying off the loan ourselves anyway (it's only ~2k a year because he got a scholarship).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:26 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
Is the loan in your son's name or yours? You may be paying it, but, unless the loan is in your name, your payment would likely be regarded as a 'gift' to your son, which is, of course, not tax-deductible.

My son used some Stafford Loans when he got his MBA (then paid them back). I'm not sure that you would qualify for a Stafford Loan, since they are primarily for low-income students (apart from their parent's income). Maybe you could claim the tax deduction 'loss' as a "Loss" on your income tax? Otherwise, it sounds like your son is still your dependent... that's something.

BTW, Stafford Loans don't generally have to be paid back until 6-months after graduation. Why are you paying them now? ... (or has your son already graduated?)

Old 01-21-2015, 02:04 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,454,172 times
The loan is in my son's name. I'm guessing we did that because we don't qualify for a Stafford loan.

We paid the interest early because it still accrues whether there's a payment due or not. However, I may rethink that strategy now that I know I'm leaving a tax deduction on the table. He is a sophomore.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:06 PM

906 posts, read 1,768,030 times
Accrued interest while your son is in school will eventually capitalize and be added to his loan balance. I believe this occurs right before he enters repayment (after graduation). It's usually a good idea to pay off the accrued interest before it capitalizes.

Only the borrower (your son) can take the interest deduction.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 AM

870 posts, read 2,111,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The loan is in my son's name. I'm guessing we did that because we don't qualify for a Stafford loan.

We paid the interest early because it still accrues whether there's a payment due or not. However, I may rethink that strategy now that I know I'm leaving a tax deduction on the table. He is a sophomore.
That's only true if it's an unsubsidized Stafford loan. If it's a subsidized Stafford loan, then interest is taken care of by the government until graduation. Double-check to see what type of loan your son is taking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance