Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,217,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What else do you call the unrelated occupancy restrictions and inferior siting of non-SFR which relegate singles to inferior locations, which often include disamenities such as poor air quality??
Cry me a river. I don't want to live near a frat house, a dormitory or a rooming house, sweetpea. You want to live in my neighborhood, at least get yourself a good enough job to be able to afford to live with only a couple of roommates instead of half a dozen.

Quote:
There have always been SOME, but this was NOT common 100 years ago or even 50 years ago. This is largely a fairly recent development, driven largely by the modern higher earnings of single women.
What has this to do with the rain in Spain? A hundred years ago, women couldn't even vote in elections. We're talking 2015 NOT 1915.

Quote:
You don't see burger flippers owning houses, do you? Note that singles owning homes is largely for professionals. There is the occasional single who inherits a house or acquires one in divorce, but that is not the norm.
Since you claim to have a college degree, why don't you make use of it instead of being a burger flipper?

Sorry, dude, but you're talking to somebody who knows all about useless degrees. I've got a PhD in history, which is almost the ultimate in useless degrees as it's been at or near the top of the useless degree list for 40+ years. Well, when you're young, idealistic, and foolish, you think you'll be the 1 in 10 or 20 that actually lands a job that pays a living wage with those impressive credentials. After a while, you should be able to figure out that doing what you're doing isn't working.

Unlike you, however, instead of whining about my circumstances, I went back to school to acquire new jobs skills, something that others on C-D have been telling you to do. I built a comfortable 30 year career from 4 computer programming courses coupled with the ability to think logically and to speak and write well. Get off your butt and make something of yourself. Then you'll be able to afford to buy a house while single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,622,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Assumes that new cars are more expensive. That may be generally true, but it wasn't when I was looking. Assuming a 300,000 mile lifespan, the majority of used cars were actually more expensive than new when considering the useful life they had left on a straightline basis (eg, a car that's done 60,000 has used up 20% of its useful life and if it costs 80% of new, it's not any cheaper). That's pretty absurdly favorable to used cars. Of course, that's for the Prius which was helped by, like most boring cars that most people are buying, holds it's value very well. Also Toyota has to put about a 20% discount on the hood to move them. Combined, you end up with the result that buying a new Prius is cheaper. Interesting result. Apparently the stigma against buying new cars is more powerful than logic. That or most people have greater expectations of the longevity of a Prius than I do as 300k is stretching what I would consider the useful life.
Or they are thinking in generalities. The Prius is the exception and not the rule. Interestingly enough, I think a lot of people 8-10 years ago believed that used Priuses were actually a bad deal financially due to battery pack life paranoia. Now that such fears are less common, the pendulum has swung the other way. But perhaps not.

In my area, just looking on Cars.com it seems that 2006 and 2007 Priuses with 90k-100k miles are going for about $8,500. Seems that if you expect them to go to 300k miles without recurring large repair bills, this is a bargain relative to straight-line depreciation (mileage based rather than age based).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Honestly, that's not that uncommon though. Same thing when I bought the Mazda3. Used cars really weren't the relative bargain they were made out to be. I sold mine with 140k for $6,000. Bought it new for $18,000. In other words, in seven years and 140k is depreciated by 2/3rds. Very few cars actually make it to 200k for a variety of reasons. They get in accidents sometimes which prematurely aborts an otherwise useful life, but they also just become money pits, especially if you're not doing your own maintenance and repairs. With the jalopy market, you've long since replaced depreciation expense with maintenance/repair expense.
Accidents are not an issue because we are discussing the values of those cars still in good condition. Any buyer can pull an auto history report anyway from Carfax or Autocheck, so it's not as though you can't address the matter separately. And as cars age, repair costs go up, but insurance costs go down once the car is worth too little to justify anything but liability coverage. These two alone are almost a wash (not for you though, you do a ridiculous amount of driving as made clear from your other posts!)

Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What policy "intentionally" forces singles out of a neighborhood? Zoning residential areas for only SFD with a minimum house size of 800 feet and minimum lot size of 10,000 square feet with at least 50 feet front and a minimum 30 foot front setback? It's the developers who decide what size houses they want to build, and their decisions are made primarily on what kind of houses they can sell fastest for the most profit. It's why the most common configuration for new construction is 3 BR, 2 Baths.

Furthermore, every zoning ordinance that's ever been enacted since WW II, at least in my state, allows for the grandfathering of existing uses, so nobody gets "forced out" of anywhere unless the property ceases to be used for what it was grandfathered as. In my city, there are a couple of working farms complete with livestock within the city limits because those farms predate the zoning that prohibited keeping farm animals within the city limits.
Renting singles who want to buy are forced out in those cases, unless their income (or assets) is significantly above the median. And also, not all the houses are necessarily built by developers either. Some are customized as well, and some were bought as a vacant lot and then the owner got the construction done. In those cases only the zoning laws are relevant, not the actions of a developer's mass-building which doesn't apply to that house.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,398,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Renting singles who want to buy are forced out in those cases, unless their income (or assets) is significantly above the median. And also, not all the houses are necessarily built by developers either. Some are customized as well, and some were bought as a vacant lot and then the owner got the construction done. In those cases only the zoning laws are relevant, not the actions of a developer's mass-building which doesn't apply to that house.
I don't follow. When housing is expensive, as it is in my area, couples also find it hard to buy unless their income and assets are sufficient. This is not unique to singles. I've already pointed out that there are dozens of SFRs available in my hometown for less than $30k. They're not in the nicest part of town, but they are habitable. When my husband and I were starting out, we lived near where those houses are located. As our careers and income grew, we moved into a nicer part of town, and so on and so forth. This is how it's done. We did not expect to live in an upper-middle class neighborhood when we were scraping by on $35k between the two of us while paying back student loans.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,433,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
A car driven off the parking lot literally has 0 mile on it more than a car that has not been sold. Again, if a car like this is not available for sale, how can you calculate the instant depreciation? Or is this a myth perpetrated by opponents of buying new cars?
there is definitely some depreciation. but most people quote depreciation off of the MSRP - which, if you're a savvy buyer, you should never pay anyways. That's why cars depreciate "so much". if a car is MSRP $35,000 but the invoice price is $31,500 - the moment you drive it off the lot, you're going to be challenged to sell it for $31,500 when a smart buyer can walk to the lot and buy one there for $31,500. shame on you if you paid MSRP. that's not depreciation - that's poor research.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't follow. When housing is expensive, as it is in my area, couples also find it hard to buy unless their income and assets are sufficient. This is not unique to singles. I've already pointed out that there are dozens of SFRs available in my hometown for less than $30k. They're not in the nicest part of town, but they are habitable. When my husband and I were starting out, we lived near where those houses are located. As our careers and income grew, we moved into a nicer part of town, and so on and so forth. This is how it's done. We did not expect to live in an upper-middle class neighborhood when we were scraping by on $35k between the two of us while paying back student loans.
Two people = twice the resources. Follow?

Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 AM

Sure, and two unrelated people could also share a home.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,505,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Cry me a river. I don't want to live near a frat house, a dormitory or a rooming house, sweetpea. You want to live in my neighborhood, at least get yourself a good enough job to be able to afford to live with only a couple of roommates instead of half a dozen.

What has this to do with the rain in Spain? A hundred years ago, women couldn't even vote in elections. We're talking 2015 NOT 1915.

Since you claim to have a college degree, why don't you make use of it instead of being a burger flipper?

Sorry, dude, but you're talking to somebody who knows all about useless degrees. I've got a PhD in history, which is almost the ultimate in useless degrees as it's been at or near the top of the useless degree list for 40+ years. Well, when you're young, idealistic, and foolish, you think you'll be the 1 in 10 or 20 that actually lands a job that pays a living wage with those impressive credentials. After a while, you should be able to figure out that doing what you're doing isn't working.

Unlike you, however, instead of whining about my circumstances, I went back to school to acquire new jobs skills, something that others on C-D have been telling you to do. I built a comfortable 30 year career from 4 computer programming courses coupled with the ability to think logically and to speak and write well. Get off your butt and make something of yourself. Then you'll be able to afford to buy a house while single.

Sorry, that is class warfare. You want to keep me out of your neighborhood, get yourself a gated community, an HOA, or a deed-restricted subdivision.

Oh, and I would have loved to have been able to continue on to law school (my purpose in getting a useless degree), but I couldn't afford it. And I can't afford to go back to school, so I don't have the luxury of the same option you exercised. I had more than four computer programming courses - as a specific component of my degree, I had a minor in CS - but those were in legacy mainframe languages which were soon to be eclipsed by the emerging PC and all the software which followed.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 AM

How exactly is that class warfare? I can't afford to live a mile up the road where houses run in the millions, but you don't hear me whining about that. I'm sorry you could not afford to go to law school, but that is not my problem nor is it my responsibility to ensure you can afford the house next door to me.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Sorry, that is class warfare. You want to keep me out of your neighborhood, get yourself a gated community, an HOA, or a deed-restricted subdivision.

Oh, and I would have loved to have been able to continue on to law school (my purpose in getting a useless degree), but I couldn't afford it. And I can't afford to go back to school, so I don't have the luxury of the same option you exercised. I had more than four computer programming courses - as a specific component of my degree, I had a minor in CS - but those were in legacy mainframe languages which were soon to be eclipsed by the emerging PC and all the software which followed.
What? PC's have not "replaced" mainframes. My father retired a couple of years ago from his job of 35 years - working with mainframes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance