Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What? PC's have not "replaced" mainframes. My father retired a couple of years ago from his job of 35 years - working with mainframes!

Of course mainframes have not been totally replaced, but demand for mainframe programmers has been insignificant for quite some time now, except for the Y2K scare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The only thing standing in the way of you being able to purchase in my nearly forty-year-old, completely built out neighborhood is ... wait for it ... you.

Not really, because zoning precludes the availability of property I could afford to purchase.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:08 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
The opposit actually.

New cars have a higher built in profit margin due to there being no private sellers of new cars.
dealerships make higher margins on used cars on their lots than on new cars - for the most part. speak to anyone who runs a dealership. they'd prefer to sell you a used car any day.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The class warfare is when government prevents the private sector from providing affordable options. It is one thing when the private sector is incapable of providing affordability; another thing entirely when the private sector is capable but is rendered unable by government regulation.
So, move to a tiny house community. What is stopping you?

11 Tiny House Villages Redefining Home - Shareable

Old 03-19-2015, 12:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Not really, because zoning precludes the availability of property I could afford to purchase.
Baloney. I've already given examples of habitable housing that is eminently affordable to someone making a making a modest income or even someone of very limited means willing to take on a roommate. The problem is that you apparently find that kind of neighborhood unacceptable. Well, then, if you want better, then you need to do something about improving your income situation. It's as simple as that.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:57 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Of course mainframes have not been totally replaced, but demand for mainframe programmers has been insignificant for quite some time now, except for the Y2K scare.
No, actually, except maybe the last 10 years or so. My father worked for a state department and they needed plenty of mainframes to run everything. The first round of layoffs was in February 2003. Before that the demand was as high as ever.

Even otherwise, the thing about programming is once you know how to program in one computer language, it's much easier to learn the next. If you can program mainframes the skills can be repurposed. In my own career there is also a good amount of programming involved. I can speak from firsthand experience that it is much easier to become proficient in subsequent computer languages than it was in the first.

I still am not buying the idea that your skills out of college couldn't have found a use.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
all i know is for what it cost me trying to keep my 8 year old volvo on the road and running i could have leased a new sentra or altima every year and been ahead.

after a while the repair costs were insane.

i think the longest we went the last 20 years was about 4 years with a car before buying a new one.

i like new cars , i like the reliability in the early years and i like the smell. guess that counts for something.
1. volvos are very expensive to maintain - less mechanics work on them, parts are typically more expensive because of lower volume models, and the configuration of the engines are just a bigger pain in the rear.
2. volvos are not known for quality - safety, yes, but they have plenty of known issues.

2006 TSX purchased in December, 2005. 129,000 miles on it. other than oil and brakes - the only thing we've had done in 9 years, 4 months is replacing the alternator for $400 along with the serp belt, and two batteries.

2010 Subaru Legacy GT purchased in June 2010, 83,000 miles on it. needed a new clutch. also have done brakes only once.

I plan on driving the TSX for at lease another 21,000 miles which will probably be 2 more years. Quite possibly could have the TSX for another 5-7 years though.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
40 years of dealing with vehicles says its a crap shoot . some get lucky and have no issues and others can't stand all the issues.

in fact jd power was right back in the early 2000's. they said manufacturers were starting to make cars to reliable and were hurting themselves big time.

those early toyotas and nissans went 100k miles with zero issues and some even 150-200k

it got to the point i never went back to the dealer for service since the only time i went was to have things repaired and did the services at the same time. i never had to go back .

local gas stations wre just fine for oil changes .

so jd powers said we were going to see them regress to the point you got 3-4 years of totally trouble free life and then components were more likely to fail.

that has been the trend now as there is a limited life span built into new car components. they had to do it or face going out of business . those late 1990 ,early 2000 maxima's had 200k and were still going strong,.

my 2012 jeep already had a head replaced. they tried cheapening the pentastar engine down to the point valve cooling suffered.

the valves warped and stuck. they had to replace thousands of heads. after 4 years both later model nissans we owned had alternators replaced.

that was almost unheard of only years before.
pretty sure Consumer Reports just tagged Jeep and Chrysler as one of their top "Brands to Avoid"

Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
My 1990 Integra, bought new, lasted for eighteen years (fifteen with me, and another three with the friend who bought it from me when I moved). I loved that car. I'm pretty sure it had nearly 300k miles on it when it finally gave up the ghost. I hope your TSX is similarly reliable and long-lived.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I'm not so sure it's obvious. It's not like they hold an election for zoning law revisions that everyone in the city votes in or anything. If 55% of the people wanted it changed but not badly enough to protest, how would we know?
you live in a Republic. if you want every decision made to be voted on by popular opinion, you need to find a different country to reside in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance