Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 11:13 AM

14 posts, read 18,710 times

Advertisements

I'm helping my dad out with rolling over his 401k into an IRA account. He's going to open an account with Vanguard. For those of you in the same age range what do you think is a good asset allocation? Was thinking of splitting his stocks (60% of portfolio) in an S&P 500 and International Index, and remaining 40& in bonds. He's planning to retire in about 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM

189 posts, read 345,283 times
it depends on risk tolerence as well.

i would still perfer more stocks but with good dividends that get reinvested.

also i am sure vanguard has age target portfilos as well that already have different allocation levels

Old 03-02-2015, 01:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothmcgooth View Post
I'm helping my dad out with rolling over his 401k into an IRA account. He's going to open an account with Vanguard. For those of you in the same age range what do you think is a good asset allocation? Was thinking of splitting his stocks (60% of portfolio) in an S&P 500 and International Index, and remaining 40& in bonds. He's planning to retire in about 10 years.
I think that is a very reasonable investment plan. What is "best" is going to vary from person to person.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:21 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothmcgooth View Post
Actually for the 60/40 combo, you can do it all in one fund with Vanguard Balanced Index. The only difference is the stock portion of the fund covers the whole stock universe from small caps to the large caps, but it is still heavily weighted toward the large caps. The small cap stocks add a little bit of return as well as a little bit of extra volatility, but this is still a relatively low volatility fund for the "moderate allocation" category.

Personally, I like Vanguard Wellington better, but it is a slightly more aggressive fund. It typically holds 65% in stocks & 35% in bonds and cash. It is slightly more volatile, but long term returns (10 years or longer) are about 1% higher or even better (for the 15 and 20 year returns). It is slightly more volatile but I think the better returns are worth the fairly modest increase in volatility.

Overall, I think a 60/40 or 65/35 stock/bond allocation is good for a 56 year old (depending on your personal comfort level). Someone age 56 may still live another 30 years, so you still need to be fairly heavy on the stock portion of the portfolio. I don't want to be too one-size-fits-all, but I actually think a 60/40 or 65/35 allocation is one you can hold almost your whole lifetime. It keeps the volatility at reasonable levels without taking too much away from returns.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM

14 posts, read 18,710 times
Hey thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 03-07-2015, 02:03 PM

282 posts, read 382,132 times
I think mysticaltyger has a good post.
One other thing to consider when setting risk is what other sources of income will he have in retirement?
Social Security is a low risk income source with cost of living adjustments. So if SS alone covers the bare essentials, the other income sources (401k, IRA, etc) can be in riskier assets (more stocks) since the total income risk is lower due to the SS income. Now if SS doesn't cover the essentials, the other income needs to be less risky.

If someone has a pension and social security, the IRA can be in riskier assets (more stocks)
And the time frame (10 years or 40 years) should be considered when setting risk.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:48 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,377 times
You can be lazy and use a target retirement fund and just go with that.

But if you want to take a slightly more hands on role and be a bit more tax efficient, you can get mostly bonds with this new IRA and keep most of the stock in his other investment accounts (if he has some post tax investment accounts).

As for the 60/40 split, it's reasonable. Personally I am much younger but I'm also very risk averse so I'm actually more like 50/50 (not sure why but I have this feeling is impending stock market doom so I have moved around 20% from stock funds to bond funds in the last 4 months). Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to try to time the market but I can't help myself.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:07 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
I agree with Mysticaltyger. You might want to add some international but not half of your equities/stocks. Maybe 10-15% of total portfolio.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
If one is not retired, in their 50s, and holding 35/5 Bonds/cash in their portfolio what would be the purpose of the cash? Is it to be available to allocate to take advantage of opportunities? The holder would not be drawing the cash at that time.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:37 AM

106,591 posts, read 108,739,314 times
cash can be a nice ballast . a mix of equities and cash can have the volatility of the equities tempered by adjusting cash levels. this would be a pucker factor decision not a strategic one.

if bond rates rise the damage done on the bond portion of a typical mix that includes them may weight down the equity side to much so equities and cash can make alot more sense if that happens.

the time to make adjustments into what you want to use for a retirement portfolio is well before , especially when markets are breaking new highs.

the time not to make changes is when you are right up to that point and markets are down.

i made my changes many years before. where you think markets are headed is not important if it is a life style change..

i did mine well before i was ready to pull the plug working . at this point with a 45/45/10 mix even a repeat of 2008 will not change our plan much. but if i was still 80-100% equities and we had a repeat i would certainly have to re-examine the income side .

blanchett in a recent study found the flaw in a rising glide path through retirement is starting out with such low bond yields now that have no where to go much except up and that may may do more harm then good ..

the falling bond funds at the same time equities are at high valuations may add to much downward weight to the mix.

where we are in the cycles have a big determination of the asset classes you want to use pre retirement , especially if you are starting to put those building blocks in place years ahead as you should and not at the last minute.

one of my favorite late in life portfolio's is the one below from bob clyatt , the RIP PORTFOLIO AS HE CALLS IT . , but i would be prepared at some point to swap out some of the bond funds for more appropriate income funds.

20% VFINX S&P500
8% VTMSX Tax Managed Small
6% VGTSX Total International Equity
10% VINEX Internat'l Explorer (small)
6% VEIEX Emerging Markets
30% VBIIX Intermediate Bond Index
11% BEGBX International Bond
5% VGSIX REIT Index
4% Money Market Fund

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-14-2015 at 04:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance