Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 PM

66 posts, read 182,760 times

Advertisements

As much as I hate the very idea of credit cards, I will be travelling to Britain this summer and will need to get one with a chip in it. Sadly, my nice, reliable, accountable, predictable little debit card won't do. :-(

I'm looking for something with no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, etc. ... but the problem is that I'm less than a year out of college (albeit employed full time and doing quite well) and have no credit history whatsoever. I'd argue that this means I recognize the risks of spending money I don't have and am thus being responsible, but the real world doesn't agree . And, anyway, credit cards used correctly can come with worthwhle perks.

With that said, can y'all recommend some good ones for newbies that meets my criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 06:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post
As much as I hate the very idea of credit cards, I will be travelling to Britain this summer and will need to get one with a chip in it. Sadly, my nice, reliable, accountable, predictable little debit card won't do. :-(

I'm looking for something with no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, etc. ... but the problem is that I'm less than a year out of college (albeit employed full time and doing quite well) and have no credit history whatsoever. I'd argue that this means I recognize the risks of spending money I don't have and am thus being responsible, but the real world doesn't agree . And, anyway, credit cards used correctly can come with worthwhle perks.

With that said, can y'all recommend some good ones for newbies that meets my criteria?
By sometime this fall, all US cards will finally have chips. So far I've only been able to get one card with a chip. That's the PenFed card. It's an excellent rewards card too but to qualify, you have to have a family member in the military, past or present.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with credit cards and you need one to rent a car or to reserve a hotel room. The problem is that some people don't pay them off. As long as you pay it off every month, you pay zero interest and it's a great deal.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post

You might try asking your local bank or credit union if they offer a secured credit card - which you can easily get even with no credit history. Some banks might be willing to give you an unsecured card - your rate will be pretty high though with no credit history - around 22%. This does not matter if you pay off the full amount every month and pay no interest at all - and stay out of debt trouble.

Capital One and Bank of America look at your rent/mortgage and your income. If your housing doesn't take up more than 28-30% of your gross income they'll often approve people with no credit history. If not, get a secured card.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:35 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Take a look here:

No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards - CreditCards.com

Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Agree with what reed303 posted.

Also - if you are traveling to Europe, keep in mind that even though the U.S. is moving to EMV cards. It's still a bit different as most will still be chip and signature vs. chip and PIN.

The latter will give you more options in Europe (e.g. unattended kiosks will still not work with chip/sig cards). There are few banks in the U.S. that offers Chip/Pin. PenFed is one, and Barclaycard is another. I'm sure there are others, but you may have to specifically ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance