Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:28 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
In general, no, buying a house is not a good reason to deplete an emergency fund; what about buying a house qualifies as an emergency? Do you have other assets you can tap into instead?

You don't have to put 20% down. Put 15% or whatever you can afford without tapping your emergency fund down and pay PMI for a couple of years; PMI will drop off when your equity gets to 20%.

Pmi does no automatically drop off even in scenarios with 20% equity, you either have to pay for an appraisal(regardless of outcome) or refi typically and in some FHA loans it may never go away no matter the equity. With no market movement it could take some time to get to 20% or with a market decline it may never happen. Interest rates are often tiered to LTV as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
Since the forum always talks about the importance of emergency funds, I am curious to see if anybody here will leave only $10K on balance (less than 2 months of expenses) to make a 20% downpayment and some closing costs for a house? Assuming it takes a family of four 2 yrs to build up the fund again.

We are in the process of budgeting how much of a house we can afford
How set are you and the spouse at your jobs?
If something happens can you or your spouses income still support the household?
How fast can you/spouse get another job if laid off?
Are your jobs marketable in your area or is it a have gun will travel mercenary job?
Are you planning setting roots on staying 5-6 or more years?
Do you freak if house values drop?
Your fund right now is at how many months?
What is the rent you are paying now vs new house payment?
Car payments?
What debt do you have that you can get rid of?

I personally would like at least 3-4 months emergency fund and the house payment coming out of another fund. Depending on what current debt you can settle or get rid of quick depending on your answers you may want to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
I think it depends on how quickly you can restore your savings and how comfortable you are with job security. If it takes two years to build up again, I wouldn't do it.

We saved for our downpayment completely separate from our emergency fund. I would recommend not buying until you have enought for your downpayment without having to dip into your emergency cash. Remember, there is more to just paying a downpayment when you buy a house. There are moving costs, furniture, repairs/maintainence, taxes, insurance. We spent quite a bit of money in the first 3 months getting settled in.

I usually calculate moving costs as 1% of purchase price as a rule of thumb

Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
I am curious to see if anybody here will leave only $10K on balance
(less than 2 months of expenses) to make a 20% downpayment and some closing costs for a house? Assuming it takes a family of four 2 yrs to build up the fund again.
I wouldn't recommend it.

The EF should be in addition to and separate from savings to buy a house.
It needs to be even bigger if/when you also have a house

Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Since the forum always talks about the importance of emergency funds, I am curious to see if anybody here will leave only $10K on balance (less than 2 months of expenses) to make a 20% downpayment and some closing costs for a house? Assuming it takes a family of four 2 yrs to build up the fund again.

We are in the process of budgeting how much of a house we can afford
No, no and H*** no. I haven't run into a single situation of my buying a home or doing a major move where there hasn't been an immediate unexpected expense that by itself required dipping into reserves.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I just reread the OP that has been edited to add it would take 2 years to rebuild the fund, in that case I wouldn't do it

Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Does buying a house reduce your monthly expenses? If it does, and you are in a secure job, i personally would have no problem doing it. But for most people, buying doesn't reduce monthly expenses and it adds some somewhat substantial expenses especially in the first year or 2.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 AM

658 posts, read 724,362 times
depends...wager your incomes in and do run some numbers. Emergency funds can be rebuilt, the key factor here is are you going to have a stable cash flow coming in to support the mortgage (only a single income). Don't take the high way, by getting higher interest rate, you will have HIGH payment monthly and next thing you know, things could hit the fan.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No, no and H*** no. I haven't run into a single situation of my buying a home or doing a major move where there hasn't been an immediate unexpected expense that by itself required dipping into reserves.
^^^ This

Old 04-01-2015, 03:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
I wouldn't

Old 04-01-2015, 04:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I would consider it if you could build the fund back up in 6 months or less, but if it is going to take 2 years, then I wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance