Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, our Accountant attempted to file our taxes electronically, and they were rejected for "probable fraud" because apparently someone had already used by husband's SSN to try and file for the year. Our CPA told us this happened to 4-5 of her clients last year, and a co-worker of my husband's experienced it as well.

Has this ever happened to anyone, and what were the repercussions (if any)? The CPA is mailing us our return and we have to file by mail, but she said it will delay our (small) refund, possibly for many months.

I suppose the prudent thing to do would deb to place a fraud alert on his credit, but we really don't want to have to do that. We are in the process of obtaining a mortgage and will also have some other large purchases in the next few months. Don't want all the hassle of constant communication with the credit bureaus. The CPA said none of her clients have had an issue in this respect, that the scam being perpetrated seems to be limited only to thieves trying to steal refunds.

Anyone BTDT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Yup. Many were hit via efile this year. Turbo Tax users were hit early on (mainly State taxes). Some other info on this:

Tax Fraud Advice, Straight from the Scammers — Krebs on Security

This may be water under the bridge for you. But some of the links in these articles may be of use. Not sure how much action you need to take. I think that's a personal decision based on the potential risks.

Obviously something took place that raised a flag on your account. So that may be enough to prevent any additional issues. Or, they have your info - and while having to jump through hoops to get your mortgage maybe cumbersome, it's much easier than having to deal with fraud being committed using your stolen identity.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Obviously something took place that raised a flag on your account. So that may be enough to prevent any additional issues. Or, they have your info - and while having to jump through hoops to get your mortgage maybe cumbersome, it's much easier than having to deal with fraud being committed using your stolen identity.
Yeah, I know. Took a look at our credit monitoring site yesterday, and everything looks fine right now. My husband has very little time to make phone calls like this during the day and gets pretty pissy when his "Assistant" (me) can't handle his things.

I even mentioned it to the mortgage banker and she was like "meh" about the necessity of a fraud alert, but said "It can't hurt".

This really pisses me off. I hate thieves. We already pay a very high tax rate to begin with, and I am sure the thieves that do this probably sit on their asses not paying taxes at all.....

Old 04-07-2015, 06:51 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
The only way to combat this from your end is to file your taxes sooner

Old 04-07-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Considering 50-75% of all the info I need to file my taxes doesn't even get to me or the CPA generally until late Feb-early March, that's very logistically difficult. I suppose it's something to look at for the future, though.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Considering 50-75% of all the info I need to file my taxes doesn't even get to me or the CPA generally until late Feb-early March, that's very logistically difficult. I suppose it's something to look at for the future, though.

So 4-6 weeks ago? Like I said it's really your only option

Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
So 4-6 weeks ago? Like I said it's really your only option
No, you're right. The time since then and now was 1). me working on them 2). waiting a week or so before sending them in to see if anything corrected matriculated in 3). The CPA working on them etc.

We could do them ourselves and try and file sooner, making estimates if needed, but they are long and complicated and generally not something I want to deal with at all (or worse yet, make a mistake at).

But, your points are well taken. In future years, I might just have the CPA prepare them, and send them back to us to file via mail. I hardly even remember how to do that, LOL.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 04-07-2015 at 07:19 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
You can request a IRS E-File Pin for next year (If your Taxes were E-Filed by someone else (Fraud) IRS will Issue you one). So future year anyone E-Filing with out the PIN will have there E-File rejected by the IRS.

Extensions give your CPA the time to do them correctly, Not rushing thru them to get them in by April 15. Also allow them to even the flow of there work flow out thru October.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Has this ever happened to anyone, and what were the repercussions (if any)? The CPA is mailing us our return and we have to file by mail, but she said it will delay our (small) refund, possibly for many months.
From what I have heard, it could be over a year before you receive the refund. While it won't help on the fraud issue, change your withholding to ensure you don't get a refund.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Not really, Turbo Tax was having issues in January with fraud...before most people even got W-2's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance