Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:44 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
I rarely feel like a slacker intellectually- I meant financially. I hope you are eternally grateful for the HUGE advantage you guys were given in life.
Not a day goes by... but also remember that I live in a high COL. It's not as bad as San Francisco quite yet, but it's pricey here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:47 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I didn't say borrow to the hilt. If you've got a diverse portfolio and only take out 20-30% of its value, it would have to crash worse than 2008 to be forced to liquidate much.
Margin is a fairly expensive way to borrow on a secured line. I wouldn't recommend it as an option

Old 04-14-2015, 10:25 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Margin is a fairly expensive way to borrow on a secured line. I wouldn't recommend it as an option
Normally, no. But if it will be paid off soon and the alternative involves higher closing costs, then?....

Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Normally, no. But if it will be paid off soon and the alternative involves higher closing costs, then?....
I'd look to nonpurpose securities based lending, it's similar to margin but with lower rates. You just can't buy securities with the proceeds

Short term yes but probably not as margin

Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
I think you are asking for problems, in the future, when the 8/11 your double in size, One small bedroom that will be on top of each other.

In next year when the 11yo hits middle school and puberty, he will need more of his own space, with out his little bro on top/around him all the time.

I assume they are in bunk beds and will be in bunks in the new smaller space. Bunk beds are "Cool" / OK, but once you are 12/13 not so much any more.

I would keep your Current Place ...

Old 04-14-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I think you are asking for problems, in the future, when the 8/11 your double in size, One small bedroom that will be on top of each other.

In next year when the 11yo hits middle school and puberty, he will need more of his own space, with out his little bro on top/around him all the time.

I assume they are in bunk beds and will be in bunks in the new smaller space. Bunk beds are "Cool" / OK, but once you are 12/13 not so much any more.

I would keep your Current Place ...
We'd only be downsizing to a 3 bedroom so they would still have opportunity to have their own room someday... the 11 year is definitely in puberty already. but he's autistic so it's not quite the same experience as it will be when my 8 year gets there... the 11 year old loves tiny spaces... I think it's a sensory thing... so he's had the bottom bunk since he was 6 and little brother was 3 (yeah, I know, feel free to judge... I didn't tell anyone about that arrangement ). Did I mention my zero-waste/minimalistic lifestyle? It's the one big reason why we can entertain a downsizing...

But I talked to my husband last night and he just doesn't really want to do it. I suppose I could push the issue, but since I would need his brother to give us the liquidity I think it's just too much effort.

So we'll let it pass.

I am, however, going to save and see if we can get to $50k cash this year. I'm a dog walker in the neighborhood and I have a couple clients I visit every day right around the condominium. Today I identified which units I would go for in the future and there are only 6 in the entire community that have both the orientation and layout that would work for me. I think if it didn't involve my husband's family I could persuade my husband more effectively. We'll see. It definitely won't be at this price though.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:13 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

I am, however, going to save and see if we can get to $50k cash this year. I'm a dog walker in the neighborhood and I have a couple clients I visit every day right around the condominium. Today I identified which units I would go for in the future and there are only 6 in the entire community that have both the orientation and layout that would work for me. I think if it didn't involve my husband's family I could persuade my husband more effectively. We'll see. It definitely won't be at this price though.
$50k saved? I guess this solves your downpayment conundrum.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
$50k saved? I guess this solves your downpayment conundrum.
Yes it would! I just have to stay the course and we'll be there by early 2016.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

But I talked to my husband last night and he just doesn't really want to do it. I suppose I could push the issue, but since I would need his brother to give us the liquidity I think it's just too much effort.

So we'll let it pass.

I think this sounds like a very wise plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance