Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

OK, guys, please don't yell.

To make a long story short I put off doing my taxes until the last minute (I actually had a pretty good excuse as my husband was in the hospital in intensive care and was extremely ill).

I got out the folder where I was keeping my 2014 income stuff and realized that I must of had two folders, as this one only has the charitable deductions and part of the paperwork. Yikes!

Some of the very important documents including a W-2, my husband's Social Security Form (SSA-1099), my pension form (1099-R) plus more must have been in a different folder which is currently misplaced. Yikes! Yikes!

What I decided to do was fill out the forms on Turbo Tax using estimated figures (I used the ones from last year as they will be very similar to this year). I am pretty sure that I will have a refund coming from both Federal and State.
I will then file for an extension, which will give me time to look for the missing paperwork or ask for second copies of the missing documents.

Am I handling this the correct way?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
I don't think you will need to file the extension since you are filing a return based on estimated income. You would need to file an amended return when you find your documentation. The IRS is pretty flexible as long as they get paid what they are due when it is due.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't think you will need to file the extension since you are filing a return based on estimated income. You would need to file an amended return when you find your documentation. The IRS is pretty flexible as long as they get paid what they are due when it is due.
Since my numbers were almost all estimates I had planned to just file for an extension instead of actually filing a return which is almost all guesses.

Again, I am pretty sure that I am due refunds from both Federal & State.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Yes, Correct thing to do it file for a extension.

Since you were able to estimate your income/deductions, you sort of know you have a refund.

So you can take the time to re-request the replacement documents. And fill out out correctly.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:19 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
She handled this exactly right. And she did not "file a return based on estimated income." That would have been a mistake. She made a tax deposit based on estimated income, and will true up when she gets the correct information.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 AM

Thanks.

I am am a lot less panicked about it.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:20 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
You can reprint all those documents from the internet...You don't even need the documents, just the exact numbers from the forms.

a W-2, Social Security Form (SSA-1099), pension form (1099-R) , all accessible online.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
She handled this exactly right. And she did not "file a return based on estimated income." That would have been a mistake. She made a tax deposit based on estimated income, and will true up when she gets the correct information.
Handled what right? Nothing has been done yet, that's why I said filing. Maybe you meant proposed. Either way, I know that you can do it either way without penalty as long as the IRS gets paid when they are supposed to be paid because I had to do that before.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
You can reprint all those documents from the internet...You don't even need the documents, just the exact numbers from the forms.

a W-2, Social Security Form (SSA-1099), pension form (1099-R) , all accessible online.
MAYBE. That entirely depends on who issued them. The SSA form you can get. The W-2 and 1099-R may not be available if they came from a small shop.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
MAYBE. That entirely depends on who issued them. The SSA form you can get. The W-2 and 1099-R may not be available if they came from a small shop.
Exactly. My W-2 is not available online or even via electronic delivery, and I work for a company that's pretty progressive from a technology standpoint.

We also deal with a lot of security breaches at the client level and know how they occur, which is probably why we don't make the W-2 available online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance