Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:43 AM

26,198 posts, read 21,662,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'm with CSD610.

Why is that riskier? It feels safer to me. A limited number of people handle the mail. There's unlimited (seemingly) on the internet.

and I'd open a separate checking account as the OP did.

Most mail boxes aren't locked and open basically to the public. It may feel safer but it's not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM

486 posts, read 833,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
I am moving into a new apartment, and the landlord requires that tenants pay via ACH direct debit. I didn't feel comfortable giving the property management company my checking account information, so I opened another checking account to make the rent payments from. My plan is to deposit the rent from my main checking account into the rent pay account each month. Somebody told me that this was a bad idea cause it could trigger an IRS audit for "structuring" since the total amount over a calendar year would equate to more than $10,000. Is this true, or is it a safe thing to do?
structuring has to do with making cash deposits not checking account to checking account.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
No, there is never a problem with having multiple accounts.

I had a local bank account in the bank in the supermarket lobby, just to have a way to process small checks so I wouldn't have to mail them. The I got hit with a $5 "inactivity fee",and I went to the manager and said I wanted to open a second account, with an automatic $1 transfer monthly from one account to the other, to immunize then from the inactivity fee.. He said fine, in fact he gets a bonus for new accounts opened. Everybody was happy.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:11 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,593,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, there is never a problem with having multiple accounts.

I had a local bank account in the bank in the supermarket lobby, just to have a way to process small checks so I wouldn't have to mail them. The I got hit with a $5 "inactivity fee",and I went to the manager and said I wanted to open a second account, with an automatic $1 transfer monthly from one account to the other, to immunize then from the inactivity fee.. He said fine, in fact he gets a bonus for new accounts opened. Everybody was happy.
Keep an eye on that account for awhile. Several of the banks I do business with don't count automatic, reoccurring ACH as "activity. They want to see checks, ATM, Billpay or teller transactions.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 PM

32,982 posts, read 36,491,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Keep an eye on that account for awhile. Several of the banks I do business with don't count automatic, reoccurring ACH as "activity. They want to see checks, ATM, Billpay or teller transactions.
That's why I chose an online bank to cover a similar situation. There weren't going to be any teller transactions and I told them I didn't want a card. Neither they nor I had any problems with that arrangement.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:46 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,307,483 times
Yeah - that person is mistaken. If you opened the new checking account at a different bank, you might have to deposit the money a little early to account for the hold placed (if it's a check), but if you opened it at your own bank a transfer from one account to another wouldn't cause a CTR under any circumstances.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,301,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
I am moving into a new apartment, and the landlord requires that tenants pay via ACH direct debit. I didn't feel comfortable giving the property management company my checking account information, so I opened another checking account to make the rent payments from. My plan is to deposit the rent from my main checking account into the rent pay account each month. Somebody told me that this was a bad idea cause it could trigger an IRS audit for "structuring" since the total amount over a calendar year would equate to more than $10,000. Is this true, or is it a safe thing to do?
I've been a CPA for a long time, and I have never heard of what you are asking triggering an IRS audit. What you are doing is the same thing companies do with payroll - have a separate payroll account and sweep money into it to cover payroll and taxes.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:02 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,948,459 times
My credit union has software to detect unusual activity in account,one time I made a purchase in Lowes and awhile later,maybe 30 minutes another purchase and when I returned home they had called to check it out.
Recently my debit card was skimmed,probably gas station,even though I only use 2 and a less secure,once in awhile.Fraud investigator says they will pick the lock or pry one open and place skimmer inside,back to subject.
I normally ck account a few times a week,this time the party with my info used it 14 times in NY and I live in FL with my account in Denver.This triggered there software.
I am completely paperless and never have had a problem,we have home in CT on ACH.I have been with this credit union since 1971,100 percent free including ATM.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Three or four years now, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance